Author Topic: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor  (Read 32826 times)

Offline PartyPlanner64

PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »

Mario Party Board Editor

I've been working on a board editor for the N64 Mario Party titles. Overall, the purpose of it is to let you create new boards to import into the games and play.

There's sort of a landing page here...
https://partyplanner64.github.io/

.. and the actual editor is a web-based application that you can run from here:
https://partyplanner64.github.io/PartyPlanner64

This is the main document on how to create a board in the editor, which I highly recommend reading first:
https://github.com/PartyPlanner64/PartyPlanner64/wiki/Creating-a-Board
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:15:08 PM by PartyPlanner64 »

Offline XCamTroX

• - A simply deaf Mario fan -
  • - A simply deaf Mario fan -
  • us 
Re: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
Woo! Can't wait to try it!  :kbobomb:

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
... Please tell me this is a real thing that's happening and not a fake thing
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
You are invited to the MPL Cookout #MPLCookout When I saw that program making the spaces I KNEW I HAD TO MAKE YOU A PLATE! Welcome to the forum firstly and secondly, you are my golden relic. I can't wait for this to be done. Hopefully I can do way with the byte coding to see if I can change some effects of the dice block and make more and things of that nature!

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
I AM IN SHOCK.

I've wanted to see Mario Party hacking grow so much, and to see SO MUCH progress in this video... unbelievable! How long have you been working on this??

I am writing an article on this on the main site of MPL first thing tomorrow. This NEEDS as much attention and praise it can get!!

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 03:26:13 AM »
OMFG I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW! HOW CAN SUCH A MARVELOUS THING LIKE THIS HAPPEN!? :ssb4pacman:

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
NFan your tone is really really grating

In other news this is pretty damn amazing! I imagine work to get this working for MP2 and 3 are coming soon?

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
NFan your tone is really really grating
I didn't mean my post to be interpreted that way, I was genuinely shocked and it was like I was in a dream :P
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Marioguy

• Spent 4 years in cryogenic freeze
  • us 
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
Whoa I am looking forward to this. Will be great to make our own boards. :o

While I'm probably going to dump the username I don't want to get rid of the banner though...

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
Now someone should do a site or wtv like Brawl Vault where we could share our boards once its released!
I'M SO DEFENITELY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS! :ssb4pacman:

Offline BossBlitz

• Yummy !
  • Tμс★Squad
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
Looking forward to release! Looks so simple yet so amazing! Kudos to you dude, this probably took a lot of effort and time put in, you deserve every bit of praise in this thread!

:ssb4kirby: :ssb4metaknight: :ssb4villager:

Offline Nintega Dario

• NiiiiiiiiiiiiiinTEGA!!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
Looks cool, very promising, looking forward to see what comes next, maybe extra character slots and the ability to import characters?

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 04:10:01 PM »
It's great to see there's some interest! The article is really spot on for being based on those few clips.

The editor itself has been my side project for about a year now. I had done some earlier investigation on and off prior and came to the conclusion that this was actually something that could be achieved.

MP 2 and 3 share essentially the same engine, so it would make sense for PP64 to someday support all three (and I have primitive support for reading the board layouts from them). The first title is really ideal in terms of simplicity though - you can see that with minimal asset replacement the entire board theme can be changed. (2 has those outfits for example.)

One of the main challenges is how imperative everything is in the engine (as opposed to declarative). Essentially all of the board logic is hard-coded ASM routines, so each board requires separate investigation and busywork to support. (I only can overwrite DK's board right now, and that might stay the case before the initial release. Not a huge deal since you can just write multiple ROMs.)

My hope is to release in a matter of weeks rather than months. The project will be totally open source and I hope there will contributions! There is a lot of knowledge that I am trying to write up into documents so it isn't just lost in source code.

Looks cool, very promising, looking forward to see what comes next, maybe extra character slots and the ability to import characters?

It would be interesting for someone to try porting the MP3 Daisy/Waluigi back. Unfortunately I don't know much about the model data. If I had to guess I'd say there's some chance bringing them back to 1 or 2 would be somewhat straightforward.

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »
It's great to see there's some interest! The article is really spot on for being based on those few clips.

The editor itself has been my side project for about a year now. I had done some earlier investigation on and off prior and came to the conclusion that this was actually something that could be achieved.

MP 2 and 3 share essentially the same engine, so it would make sense for PP64 to someday support all three (and I have primitive support for reading the board layouts from them). The first title is really ideal in terms of simplicity though - you can see that with minimal asset replacement the entire board theme can be changed. (2 has those outfits for example.)

One of the main challenges is how imperative everything is in the engine (as opposed to declarative). Essentially all of the board logic is hard-coded ASM routines, so each board requires separate investigation and busywork to support. (I only can overwrite DK's board right now, and that might stay the case before the initial release. Not a huge deal since you can just write multiple ROMs.)

My hope is to release in a matter of weeks rather than months. The project will be totally open source and I hope there will contributions! There is a lot of knowledge that I am trying to write up into documents so it isn't just lost in source code.

It would be interesting for someone to try porting the MP3 Daisy/Waluigi back. Unfortunately I don't know much about the model data. If I had to guess I'd say there's some chance bringing them back to 1 or 2 would be somewhat straightforward.

Now this have me intrigued. I may want to edit the dice blocks in MP1 and such. I think its only a byte swap in hex editor or something. I may play with them to get results. Great job on your engine too! Hopefully we are able to port to MP3 and even MP4 (As the MP3 to MP4 and MP7 to MP8 transitions use original ports)

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
That's what I was thinking, it had to be pretty similar.

I can't wait to see the tool and see if there is anything I can contribute with. My hacking experience is minimal at best, but I might find something I can do!