Author Topic: An MPL Story: 999  (Read 2084 times)

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
An MPL Story: 999
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
So here's that story I was talking about sometime earlier in my blog, as I said before, it's based heavily based on one of my favorite games(Zero Escape: 999) so that kinda makes the title generic, but meh.

Here it is. As a note, everyone in this story is a member here on MPL. Have fun guessing who is who :)

9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

*BOOM*

An explosion could be heard. NFan jolted up from his nap.

"What was that?" He thought. But, as soon as he woke up, he realized he didn't recognize his surroundings.

It looked like a simple office. A desk with a laptop on it, a file cabinet, some painting, and a plant in the corner. NFan got up from the floor.

"Is there an earthquake?" The ground was still shaking from the explosion. He wasn't sure what to make of it.

Then he noticed the door. It didn't look like a normal wooden office door, it was made entirely out of metal. There was a number written rather obnoxiously on the door in red paint.

"Four..." NFan said out loud. He tried to open it, but it was locked. Next to the door was some weird device. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this was keeping the door locked. The device had a card reader and a lever. Pulling the lever did nothing.

NFan looked down at his wrist to see the time. Surprisingly, he did not see his own watch. He saw a red bracelet with the number 4 on its display.

"Four, again... Is this some sort of pattern?" NFan flipped his wrist over to remove it...

... Only to find that there was no latch. The bracelet was stuck on him. He sighed, and flipped it back over. That's when he noticed two small buttons on each side of the bracelet. He pushed them, hoping something would happen, but nope. Nothing.

The shaking from earlier seems to have stopped now. NFan could finally get his bearing.

That's when he realized something. Where were the windows? NFan looked around, and realized that a big metal plate was covering the window, The plate seemed to be a part of the wall at first, so he ignored it. He wasn't sure if he could even leave from the window anyway, since he didn't know how high he was.

Then it happened. NFan heard a cracking noise. He looked around to see where it was coming from, and then realized it was coming from the ceiling. He stepped out of the crack's way, not knowing what would fall from it.

A bomb fell. It had a timer on it, and it had 15 minutes before it would explode.

"Really? Okay, I have to get out of here now..."

NFan looked behind the desk, and realized there was a briefcase concealed under it. He took it out, and opened it. There was a blue folder with a paper in it.

"What's this?" NFan took the folder and opened it.

"As a friendly reminder, I will tell you workers how to see if you can go through the doors.

Calculate a digital root by adding all the numbers. If you end up with a double digit number, add the numbers in the tens place and the ones place. For example, the digital root of 249 is 6. 2 + 4 + 9 = 15. 1 + 5 = 6. The digital root of 5678 is 8. 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 = 26. 2 + 6 = 8."

That was all that was written. NFan didn't know what he just read, but he figured it may be important later. He noticed a key was taped to the bottom of the paper. He took it, not knowing what it was for. He then checked the laptop, but it would not boot up, sadly.

But luckily, he examined the file cabinets, and realized the cabinet at the bottom required a key to open. He tried it, and it unlocked. Inside were cards with the number 1-9 on them.

NFan went over to the door, and slid the card with the number 4 on the device, and pulled the lever. It gave an "error" sound.

"Wait a second... Maybe I need to create the digital root of 4?"

NFan looked back at the bomb. There were only 5 minutes left, so he had to hurry.

He did some quick math in his head and slid the cards 139 on the card reader, and pulled the lever. It gave a beeping noise of success, and he heard a small click.

"Okay, I need to leave, now..."

NFan opened the door, and ran... and ran... and ran. He did not want to be anywhere near the bomb when it detonated. He found some stairs, and ran up them. When he got up two floors...

*BOOM*

The bomb detonated. NFan stayed where he was and got a grip on a nearby door handle. The door was locked, so it wasn't a huge problem. The ground started to shake vigorously now. For some reason, NFan felt that the building was... falling. However, this stopped after a while. And finally, the shaking stopped.

NFan felt sick. He wanted to go home. Why was he here? Were there others as well? He didn't know. He got his bearings again, and went back to walking. He eventually found himself in a new, large room. It looked like a lobby.

Then he heard something. It sounded like footsteps. He looked up the stairs and saw people going down the stairs. NFan was surprised, as did the people that were on the stairs. Everyone just looked at each other for a moment until someone walked down all the way.

"Looks like there's another one of us." He said, standing in front of NFan. Then he ran past me. All the other people did too, for some reason.

The first person to pass him was a person that didn't really look like he was inclined to conversation. He wore a blue shirt, plad pants, and black shoes. He muttered, "One of us, huh?..." as he passed NFan.

Then there were two others. One of them was a man that looked tired, as if he could collapse and fall asleep any second. He also seemed to be, well... old. His attire consisted of a brown coat, gray shirt, blue jeans, and some red shoes.

"Young man," he started to speak, "If you want to get out of here, you should follow the rest of us."

The other person, seemed to be focused on their destination and didn't even say anything when he passed NFan. He looked like he was thinking about a lot of things, like some sort of scientist trying to solve an error in an experiment... NFan couldn't get a good look at what he was wearing, since the old man was standing in his way. In fact, he couldn't get a good look at anyone else because of the man.

"Okay, I'll follow." The man nodded, and pointed toward a hallway behind NFan. He ran down it, as did NFan.

They were in a new room this time, and this room consisted of four doors. Two of them, were quite large, and one of them had the number 3 written on it in red paint, the other had 6. The two other doors didn't have any numbers, but one of them had a keyhole. A Mushroom was engraved on it. No, not the real life mushroom, but the mushroom from Mario Party?... The last door, had no keyhole or number, but like the others, did not open.

"They're the same as the ones up there..." the old man said.

Then a new voice spoke up. Not in the same room, however. It came from the announcement speaker.

"Hello and welcome. Today you are going to participate in a game. The [Nonary Game]."

"What's the Nonary Game?" NFan said out loud.

"The [Nonary Game]," the speaker said, as if it was responding, "it is a game... Where you will put your life on the line."

"That doesn't sound pleasant."

"On September 11th, 2001, terrorists crashed airplanes into the world trade center, and it collapsed within 2 hours. However, I will give you more time. 9 Hours. 9 Hours to escape. The rules and instructions on how to play can be found on the person with the number (4) bracelet. Have fun." The speaker stopped its announcement.

Everyone looked around for a bit, and all eyes landed on NFan. He dug into his pocket, and found a piece of paper.

"I guess I'll read it out loud to everyone." NFan said. "Ahem..."

"The [Nonary Game]. By now, you must have noticed the doors with large numbers on them. Let's call them the [numbered doors]. You can only open a numbered door if the people that want to go through it create a digital root of the number on the door. For example, the people with the bracelet 1-2-3-4 can go through the number 1 door, since 1234 forms the digital root of 1. How, you may ask, will this work? At each door, there is a Recognition Device that will scan your bracelet. If the numbers scanned create the correct digital root, the door will open. However, only the people that verified at the Recognition Device can only go through. Why? When you go though a numbered door, a timer will start on the bracelet. In 81 seconds, it will send a signal to a bomb in your body telling it to explode. The people who verified at the Recognition Device also have to verify at the Deactivation Device, which is beyond the numbered door. This will stop the timer. Those that didn't veryify at the Recognition Device will not be able to verify at the Deactivation Device. Only a maximum of 5 can pass through a door, and a minimum of 3. This guarantees that the rules of the numbered doors will be followed. You might also be wondering, how to remove the bracelets. There are only two ways to do so: 1. You escape. 2. Your heartbeat reaches zero. In other words, until you leave this building or die, the bracelet will be on your left wrist forever. The goal of the [Nonary Game] is to escape. Seek the numbered door that carries a (9), and you will be able to leave."

Everyone seemed to be in deep thought now. NFan realized, that there probably will be a fight for who goes through the 9 door, even though it's just the matter of adding up the numbers. Then all eyes turned to the 3 and 6 doors. The Recognition Device on both doors read "Vacant," as if waiting for us to scan our bracelets.

"Before we go into the numbered doors," NFan said, "All of us need to exchange information."

"What do you mean?" Someone said.

"I mean, I want to know who you guys are. After all, it'll be difficult to talk to each other if we don't have something to call each other."

There was an awkward silence. Then the old man spoke up.

"I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid, but what if the mastermind, the person that setup all of this, is listening in? He might have picked random people, and might be wanting to get our information. Then he could use it against us and tell our close relatives that nothing is wrong and that we're doing a errand for him or something."

Another person spoke up, "Then I suggest this; we should all have codenames, based on our bracelet number, perhaps? Mine is 3."

He held up his left hand, and the bracelet did indeed display a 3.

"I would like to be called Nac. North America is the third largest continent in the world, and Nac is a kind of abbreviation for it."

"Alright then," the old man spoke up, "Mine is 1."

He held up his left hand, and again, the display showed a 1.

"I think I should be called Neo. It means 'One,' or 'The one.'"

NFan spoke up. "I'm 4, which all of you knew already." He held up his left hand, and it showed a 4. "I want to be called Charmander, because it is the 4th pokemon in the Dex."

Then, surprisingly, the person that didn't look inclined to conversation spoke up.

"My number is 9." He said oddly quietly, but loud enough for everyone to hear. He held out his left hand, and again, a 9 showed itself.

"Please," he started to say, "Call me Nine. I know it's not very creative, but I can't think of anything else."

Everyone nodded.

"I've been given a 2." Someone continued, and held out his left hand. He wasn't lying.

"In that case, I would like to be called Water. Water is the second most important thing you need to survive."

"I have 8." The next person lifted their left hand lazily, as if they were bored.

"Call me Stanley. In a game called the stanley parable demo, there were hilarious references to 8."

"Um, I have a 6." This was getting a little annoying, but he held out his left hand, and it showed a 6.

"I would prefer if all of you called me Noon. You see, in Mario Party 6, there is a day and night system. the middle of day and night is noon."

"I got a 5." He showed his left hand, and the bracelet showed a 5.

"Call me May. It's the fifth month of the year."

Then finally, the last person spoke up.

"My bracelet shows a 7." He held up his left hand. Even though it was only done nine times, NFan felt like it was done a million times.

"I want the codename of Space. Super Mario Galaxy is the seventh mainstream Mario game, and it takes place in space." It makes sense, doesn't it?

After that, NFan decided to run the codenames in his head, one more time.

(1) was Neo.
(2) was Water.
(3) was Nac.
(4) was NFan's number, and had given himself the codename of Charmander.
(5) was May.
(6) was Noon.
(7) was Space.
(8 ) was Stanley.
and (9) was Nine. Everything was setup.

"Now then," Nac spoke up, "Who's going in which door?"

All eyes turned to the numbered doors once again. Noon spoke up. "I want door 3. Who wants to come with me?"

"I'll go with you." Neo responded. "But who will come with us?"

"Wait a second, if Nac and I join you two, the problem is solved, right?" Water spoke up.

1 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 12 1 + 2 = 3.

Nac spoke up. "I'll actually be fine with that."

"But wait," Noon said, "What's the other people's digital root gonna be?"

NFan did some math in his head.

4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 33 3 + 3 = 6.

"It's 6." NFan said in response to Noon.

"Then I guess everything works out." Neo stated. He headed toward door 3.

NFan thought about it for a second. Did he really want door 6?

So this is where the story stops, for now. I'm actually planning this story to be interactive. Like when I update the story next time, you can read what happens when you go through door 6 and what happens when you go through door 3. It's like a choose your own adventure kind of thing. Anyway, some feedback is appreciated.
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Bowser498

• Bowser498: Super Mario Video Game Expert
  • Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
Re: An MPL Story: 999
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-IN THE PROCESS OF REDOING MY SIG- :ssb4yoshi: :ssb4bowser:

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing to see here, move along
  • Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

Offline BossBlitz

• Yummy !
  • Tμс★Squad
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »

:ssb4kirby: :ssb4metaknight: :ssb4villager:

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:03:46 AM »

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the Car and the Star system!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing to see here, move along
  • Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
A note:

I forgot to mention that the numbered doors close after 9 seconds after it opens. So yeah, remember that.

Ancient trash.

Offline Strychnine

• I'm dead.
  • alkaloid compound
  • aq 
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »

Well I don't imagine so I will see for myself - HJ

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
I decided to rush and complete the 3/6 doors :P So it might not be good. Anyway...

Neo started to walk toward door 3. Water, Nac, and Noon followed.

Spoiler: Door 6 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Door 3 (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure how I'm going to pull off the next part on this site. I think I'll have to do something with Google Docs. Anyway, feel free to discuss what you think will happen what what doors you wanna go through.
Ancient trash.

Offline Bowser498

• Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »

Ancient trash.

Offline Bowser498

• Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »

Ancient trash.

Offline Bowser498

• Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »