Poll

Do you think Penguins should be playable in the Mario spin-offs?

Yes, I love them!!
6 (30%)
Only once or twice
3 (15%)
I'm not bothered
9 (45%)
No, that's a terrible idea!
1 (5%)
Uh... What penguins?
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Should Penguins be playable?  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Toblet

• Proud supporter of Rosalina!
  • Since her Galaxy debut! ^_^
  • gb 
Re: Should Penguins be playable?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012 »
Lol, useless characters will always be added to the roster.

I'll be interested to see what the roster is in Mario Kart 8. Probably even more useless characters will be added and replace a lot of the original ones.

I hope Nintendo gets rid of 2 babies, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Waluigi and Birdo and I'll be more than happy.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012 »

I'll be interested to see what the roster is in Mario Kart 8. Probably even more useless characters will be added and replace a lot of the original ones.

I hope Nintendo gets rid of 2 babies, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Waluigi and Birdo and I'll be more than happy.

Waluigi and Birdo will never be removed from spin-offs they are main spin-off characters. Unless Nintendo acts stupid again and doesn't include either in MK8. With the way things are going Nintendo will probably even take out Luigi and Peach after a while so they can make room for more babies and stupid characters like a Thwomp. -_- I REALLY hate Nintendo right now.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012 »

Waluigi and Birdo will never be removed from spin-offs they are main spin-off characters.
Mario Kart 7. :P

If they have been removed once, they're likely they will be removed again. Look what happened to Toadette.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012 »

Waluigi and Birdo will never be removed from spin-offs they are main spin-off characters.
Mario Kart 7. :P

If they have been removed once, they're likely they will be removed again. Look what happened to Toadette.

I mentioned MK7, but MK7 seven had a terrible roster. It's not likely, Toadette was just in to make sure Toad had a partner and now that partners aren't really needed she no longer appears.

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012 »
Seriously? Who the hell cares? If this was a fighting game like Mortal Kombat where all the characters are given full-fledged backstories and interesting personas and powers, then yeah, this would be a legit discussion. But we are talking about MARIO characters here. The most vague and one dimensional characters in the history of video games. You guys are basically arguing over characters who contribute almost nothing to the franchise and are only placed in the games for fan service. Just saying.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012 »
Seriously? Who the hell cares? If this was a fighting game like Mortal Kombat where all the characters are given full-fledged backstories and interesting personas and powers, then yeah, this would be a legit discussion. But we are talking about MARIO characters here. The most vague and one dimensional characters in the history of video games. You guys are basically arguing over characters who contribute almost nothing to the franchise and are only placed in the games for fan service. Just saying.

There are other games with even vaguer and one dimensional characters.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012 »
At least get rid of the characters that make your ears burst. Daisy needs to be quietened down, Waluigi and Funky Kong have such irritating voices and Birdo... Well... I don't even know what noise that thing makes.

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012 »
The only one other major gaming franchise I can think of that has bland characters is the Kirby series. The rest either have some sort of flowing storyline that seams together some interesting character choices. Even the Donkey Kong franchise has a lot of characters that are interesting. Funky is....well, funky, Dixie is an adventurous tom boy, Lanky is a clown, K. Rool is a master of disguises and egos, etc. The Mario cast just doesn't have that diverse personas that other gaming series do.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012 »
The only one other major gaming franchise I can think of that has bland characters is the Kirby series. The rest either have some sort of flowing storyline that seams together some interesting character choices. Even the Donkey Kong franchise has a lot of characters that are interesting. Funky is....well, funky, Dixie is an adventurous tom boy, Lanky is a clown, K. Rool is a master of disguises and egos, etc. The Mario cast just doesn't have that diverse personas that other gaming series do.

They aren't all that bland as character, I mean each has their own personality. I think they need to go the Strikers rout with the characters since they seemed more "alive" in the Strikers game than anywhere else.

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012 »
All we know about the Mario brothers is that they fell into their toilets, landed into the Mushroom Kingdom, saved the Princess from an evil Koopa named Bowser, and that's pretty much it. And all of the other supporting characters that Mario encounters are just there. No origin stories, no unique personalities, not a great way to argue over which "characters are better" because none of them truly shine as groundbreaking characters.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012 »
All we know about the Mario brothers is that they fell into their toilets, landed into the Mushroom Kingdom, saved the Princess from an evil Koopa named Bowser, and that's pretty much it. And all of the other supporting characters that Mario encounters are just there. No origin stories, no unique personalities, not a great way to argue over which "characters are better" because none of them truly shine as groundbreaking characters.

Yea well you got me there, but still using generic enemies and characters like Koopas and Penguins as playable characters is dumb. At least we have some knowledge of who the others are like, Peach is sweet and feminin, Daisy loves excitement and sports, Wario is wicked and fat, then we have Koopa and others that give no hint on what they are like. They cheer when others cheer and are sad when others are sad. Like what is Blooper like? Is he a baddie like Wario? is it even male? So at least the others bring something and we know who they are and what they act like. They have some sliver of personality to bring.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012 »
I agree that most of the characters are a bit random, but Super Mario Galaxy really made Rosalina shine. We know her story, personality, what she does and we've even seen where she lives. We know more about Rosalina than Daisy/Waluigi and that's why Rosalina deserves permanent place. She is also breathtakingly beautiful and is more popular than most characters, yet Nintendo still continues to reject her in games outside Mario Kart/ Mario Galaxy. :(

I'd even be willing to let Funky Kong stay in Mario Kart, as long as Rosalina is playable. :P

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012 »
See, Rosalina is probably the only character with any legitimate background, but still, she's just a sorceress who really doesn't do anything noteworthy other than help Mario form the walkway to Bowser's Reactor. :P She's basically just there as a guide for Mario, which can easily be done with characters like Toadsworth. Sure, she's got that whole Storybook, but come on, did anybody give a s*** about that? It didn't affect your gameplay at all nor did it have anything to do with the game lol.

Offline ★Plum★

• Plum is best golfer
  • #1 Plum fan!
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012 »
See, Rosalina is probably the only character with any legitimate background, but still, she's just a sorceress who really doesn't do anything noteworthy other than help Mario form the walkway to Bowser's Reactor. :P She's basically just there as a guide for Mario, which can easily be done with characters like Toadsworth. Sure, she's got that whole Storybook, but come on, did anybody give a s*** about that? It didn't affect your gameplay at all nor did it have anything to do with the game lol.

It gave her story and you said a story is important for a character. So now it's a bad thing? lol

Offline Toadette

• The Best Mario Character ever in the History of Forever
  • 2k15 #YearofToadette 👍
  • us 
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012 »
I want Toadette back, I don't care who else gets in, as long as the Main Cast and her stay. Toadette's pretty much useless now though since the whole "Partners" thing was trashed. It's a damn shame, they were actually starting to give her some character. Like what she likes, her hobbies, her odd good chemistry with Bad Guys...