Poll

Do you think Penguins should be playable in the Mario spin-offs?

Yes, I love them!!
6 (30%)
Only once or twice
3 (15%)
I'm not bothered
9 (45%)
No, that's a terrible idea!
1 (5%)
Uh... What penguins?
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Should Penguins be playable?  (Read 10411 times)

Offline Toblet

• Proud supporter of Rosalina!
  • Since her Galaxy debut! ^_^
  • gb 
Should Penguins be playable?
« on: May 06, 2012 »
Nintendo are always on the hunt for different and unique characters. I personally love the penguins, and I believe they should be more than just characters in the background. They are so cute and I love their deep blue colour. What do you think?

Just look at that face! :-D

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 by Toblet »

Offline Deceptive Dislike

• Silence
  • us 
Re: Should Penguins be playable?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012 »
Eh, well I if they are I wouldn't play them, but I guess it would be coolish.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012 »
They'd be cooler than Funky Kong, that's for sure. Excuse the pun. :P

Offline Deceptive Dislike

• Silence
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012 »
They'd be cooler than Funky Kong, that's for sure. Excuse the pun. :P
I noticed the pun after I typed it as well, but yeah I'd say they're more deserving than Funky Kong.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012 »
I'd be okay with that. I would always prefer a penguin over Birdo, though. :P Plus, it kinda gives them a little more variation in characters.

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012 »
All of you who think Funky Kong is stupid will get personally raped by yours truly. Now y'all bend over.

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012 »
i prefer funky kong over any penguins and them being playable is stupid 8)

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012 »
I concur, deadlyimpulse. See, it's people like us who should be nominated into Congress.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012 »
I will campaign for Kirby to join the Mario series if another Kong get's in... The DK characters should STAY in their own series. This isn't DK returns... :what:

The Penguin, and even Kirby deserves to be in the Mario series more than the other Kongs. Diddy only joined because DK needs a partner, fair enough. No more Kongs.

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012 »
Obviously the 1980 arcade games Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. had NOTHING to do with Mario's beginnings. If you think about it, Mario is actually a SPIN OFF from the Donkey Kong franchise. Mario Bros. was Mario's third game after he was on the Donkey Kong arcade games. So think about that for a second.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 by Aegis »

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012 »
Yes but then they separated into two different series. the Mario series and the DK series.

At the start of evolution, you have one species which eventually evolves into two new species. Yes, the two species belonged to the same ancestor, but the species are now completely different from each other. They can not be combined because it just doesn't work. It's the same thing with Mario and DK, yes they originated from the same game, but they have gone their separate ways. Only DK and Mario should therefore be able to join each others series. You think about that...

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012 »
"Therefore only DK and Mario should be allowed to be with each others series" So you basically are throwing your whole "No more Kongs" argument away and agreeing with me. Good job debating. And good job comparing evolution to video gaming franchises even though evolution doesn't have any legitimate point here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 by Aegis »

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012 »
No, what I meant was ONLY Mario and DK should join each others series, no other characters belonging to their series. They were the first playable characters in that game and therefore only them two INDIVIDUALS should be able to cross over into the other games. The other characters in Mario shouldn't be in the DK series and the DK characters shouldn't be in the Mario series.

Offline Starlit Midnight

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012 »
Okay, so how do you explain the Yoshi franchise? Yoshi's first game was for the NES that had very little Mario influence. Then he appeared in Super Mario World. So you're telling me that Yoshi characters like Raphael Raven and Kamek shouldn't be considered part of the Mario roster when really Yoshi himself became a huge part of the Mario world? If not, then your logic is seriously flawed.

Offline Toblet

• gb 
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012 »
This is why I wished Kirby to appear in Mario Kart 64 because he could have been part of the Mario series. :P

Mario Kart 64 had different characters from different series; the Mario, Wario, Yoshi and DK series. The character roster was so small, Nintendo decided to keep all of them in the roster in later games. After years of characters being added, all of the characters became a big part of the Mario series.

Don't forget, Kamek almost made it in Mario Kart 64. He was then removed for some unknown reason. He was then added to Paper Mario and became a perfect enemy.

Raphael Raven was in Yoshi Story?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 by Toblet »