Author Topic: April Fools Gone Wrong  (Read 9213 times)

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
April Fools Gone Wrong
« on: April 01, 2012 »
I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

Our latest addition to the staff Bullet, has been permabanned for all the actions he performed today. In what he called an April Fool's joke, Bullet had staff members demoted, post counts altered, members deleted, and he unbanned himself. Yes, he unbanned himself. Through our FTP and database access, he was able to continue on. From what we can tell, this access has been taken from Bullet and we believe we can continue.

We ended up using a backup of the Forum instead of trying to correct the mistakes. So any posts made on April 1 have vanished. That included our super awesome amazing April Fools trick we had this morning. So you can't say it sucked since it doesn't exist anymore. :P

That's what happened. And whoever is spreading rumors that we added some noob and gave him full access to everything, please stop. Bullet was a fine and experienced member, but just like anyone on any staff, he can sabotage the Forum, and he did.

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
Re: April Fools Gone Wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012 »
I'll explain the background details.

Beginning of March, Bullet registered. I had recognised him from other sites (but I didn't know him personally at the time). He approached me and said that he had PHP experience and was interested in helping with layout etc.

The staff convened and we decided to sign him on. He requested full board access yadda yadda for 'ease of adaptations'.

First couple of weeks were ok, mods were cleaned up but a few were removed.

Later on, there were arguments in-staff over various things, not limited to Bullet having a blog at 79 posts.

April 1st, Bullet decided that since it was April Fools, and he was getting very annoyed at certain staff, so he demodded some of them etc. That was resolved by 3am EDT. He came back on, during which time Cook de-staffed him; Cook got banned or de-adminned (not sure), SZ banned Bullet, SZ's account got deleted since Bullet changed the Forum administrator ID assignment to himself. And then proceeded to ban and delete DB's account, ban Staryu, and idk who else.

Then he was trying to restore the place when SZ suspended the site.

This backup is from 2am EDT, which is I guess fortunate.

Anyway, since I was the original suggester I have a degree of guilt which I fully understand, and I apologize over that horrible judgement at the beginning (and being a bit too trusting to an outsider). However as a staff body we share that responsibility as well.

And as SZ said, Bullet was a good staff but he went over the line and led this mess to spiral. Yes, we may have done something about it, but chances are Bullet would've been three steps ahead.

Hopefully everything is back normal, let us staffies know about any severe issues.

Oh, I suggest you change your passwords.

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline Ryoux0

• Your Worst Nightmare
  • Guess who's back!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012 »
It was not just one person's fault. We all consented to give Bullet access to the files. None of us expected him to completely screw us over. We all trusted him but obviously our trust was misplaced. He claimed it as an April Fools joke but with that much power it was more of a catastrophe than a joke..

Offline Toadette

• The Best Mario Character ever in the History of Forever
  • 2k15 #YearofToadette 👍
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012 »
Wow, is that why the site shut down for a while?

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012 »
SUM IT UP

He went too far with his April Fools Joke

Offline Wacky

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012 »
I agree, deleting stuff and demoting people was not really a joke.  Worse than a bad joke, but a cruel move.

I guess it's okay.  I suggest you know get to know others before actually placing them on the silver platoon, or giving them a important position.  If he comes back as a member - fine.  I don't want him back in the staff team, imo.  His frustration shouldn't have been taken out on anyone.  It's pretty stupid.  :L

Sorry for the loss.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012 »
Shame to see this. You should NEVER trust or believe ANYTHING during March 31 - April 2. Just keep that in mind. You're prone to get fooled. Staff demotion and account deletion was way too far.

Good to see it's back up.

Offline Slacker

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012 »
Above all, I think everything turned out well.
Bullet could have done some serious damage so this is a a minor setback.

Blame shouldn't be placed, the forum was saved anyway. You guys placed a lot of trust in this guy and unfortunately he turned out to be twisted, some people are like that. At least you learned that some more prerequisites should be required before you give someone power.

It basically sounds like a freak accident, that's all; anyone who makes a huge deal about it isn't worth the trouble. Glad everything's running ok.
lol april fools except on the admins

Offline Justin

• Too lazy to find/make an avatar.
  • us 
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012 »
Just to clarify should I change my password just in case?

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012 »
Yes, H-J suggested it in his post.

Offline Justin

• Too lazy to find/make an avatar.
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012 »
Yes, H-J suggested it in his post.

Woops didn't see that. My bad. :P

Offline Topper1

• :D
  • I have returned... again
  • gb 
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012 »
Wow, a lot happened whilst I was sleeping!!!
Glad to see everything's fixed though!

Offline Yoshi Party! (Formerly LP)

• No Avatar for Now
  • USE CANCEL CLOCK!
  • kr 
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012 »
I don't think Bullet shoukd get a Perma-ban, I think Major Ban is Enough. :(
Anyway, I am surprised, since a lot of madness happened when I was gone. :P
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012 »
I'm actually laughing because he was the one that tried to tell me that I was a bad member and that I treated members like s*** when in return he tried to royally screw over the forum. Aaaaah, irony at it's finest.

I'm not changing my password though if this guys perma'd.

Offline Ryoux0

• Your Worst Nightmare
  • Guess who's back!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012 »
I'm actually laughing because he was the one that tried to tell me that I was a bad member and that I treated members like s*** when in return he tried to royally screw over the forum. Aaaaah, irony at it's finest.

I'm not changing my password though if this guys perma'd.

Yeah he's permad from the site but we dunno if he put back doors into the FTP access so to be safe you may want to change it.