Author Topic: Project Dream  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
Project Dream
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
Project Dream was a game that Rare (formerly known as Rareware) was working on during the time of the SNES. It was suppose to be a huge RPG about a kid, known as Edison, that conflicted with pirates. They could not finish the game on the SNES, since it reached the end of the SNES life, so they transferred it to the 64. They were doing great, but they were trying to make it the best they could. The problem, however, was that the game had a slow framerate, which they had to fix to be similar to Super Mario 64 and Conker. They were trying to make their game as great as those two. Well, when they thought they were done, they decided that a boy wouldn't be as appealing, so they chose one of the secondary characters in the game, which happened to be Banjo. They completely revamped the story and gameplay to what it is known to today: Banjo-Kazooie. There is only one screenshot of this game and an official image of Edison. The music composer, Grant Kirkhope, talks a little about Project Dream on his site and even has a few beta songs for Banjo-Kazooie, along with some Project Dream songs. I'll post them here, using YouTube videos. Some even sound familiar. =) I'll use spoilers, so that it won't waste as much RAM viewing the page. =P I think they should've kept some of these themes. I didn't put one song up due to the YouTube video not being appropriate for MPL.

Spoiler: Project Dream - Voyage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Project Dream - Chase (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Project Dream - Troll (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Project Dream - Shanty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Project Dream - Bully (click to show/hide)

And the photos:

Spoiler: Only Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Edison (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Banjo from Dream (click to show/hide)

Here's a couple sources:
http://www.grantkirkhope.com/samplecomposition.html
http://banjokazooie.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Dream

It's sad, really, that they never finished or even tried at the end. I probably would've loved the game, since they were already doing great with the Donkey Kong games. What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:58:04 AM by Naked Snake »

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
Re: Project Dream
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
Who cares? Banjo-Kazooie was a great game in the end, and i'm happy it went into that direction.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:51:46 AM »
Who cares? Banjo-Kazooie was a great game in the end, and i'm happy it went into that direction.
Yeah I agree. I still would've loved to see the game be finished and released, since I love RPGs. Maybe someday they'll try recreating it, though that's very unlikely.

If only Rare could've made a proper Banjo-Threeie after Tooie, cuz I was waiting for years to see that game.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
Listened to them all, some of the soundtracks actually do sound familiar. But yeah, it's a shame that it was never finalized. Though I do agree with Aegis, Banjo-Kazooie was a great game. Even more, it's still full of mysteries.

If only Rare could've made a proper Banjo-Threeie after Tooie, cuz I was waiting for years to see that game.
Same here, but sadly, I don't think it'll ever happen, despite Grunty mentioning Banjo-Threeie at the end of Banjo-Tooie. Rare should have stuck with Nintendo to keep the series like this going.

To be honest, I had no clue what Project Dream in major detail was all about until either this topic or HuntMac talking about it.

Offline cookieboy17

• da
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
Thank God, I'm definitely not an RPG person and Banjo Kazooie is kickass.
rip dinosaur

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Just curious, was Project Dream supposed to be battlewise a turn-based RPG or real time?

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Just curious, was Project Dream supposed to be battlewise a turn-based RPG or real time?
I have no idea. I'm guessing the battles were realtime, just because that's how Banjo-Kazooie was. You'd have to ask the makers (who probably won't even tell you), cuz I haven't read anything that talks about the battle system. It'd be pretty hard trying to contact them and get a response.

And about Banjo in the artist sketch, he looks badass. I don't see why they just didn't use Banjo in Dream as the main character and keep the game. I'm definitely glad they made the BK games, but I wonder how a massive RPG made by Rare would've played out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:25:18 PM by Naked Snake »