Author Topic: Nintendo 64DD  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Milla Maxwell

• Sent by the gods
  • 貰った!始まりの力、手の内に! 我が導となり、こじ開けなさい! スプリ
Nintendo 64DD
« on: January 08, 2011 »
The Nintendo 64DD was the N64's sucessor that was backwards compatable. It was released on December 1st, 1999 for $300. (Wooooooooooooooooooow) The games came on weird magnetic disks that were more expensive than regular CDs. It was only released in Japan. It only sold 15,000 units which failed like the Virtual Boy. Only 23 exclusive came out on the system which includes add on expansion paks of exsisting N64 games. The following N64 games had expansions of add-on material and graphics improvments: F-Zero X, Mario Party, Ocarina of Time ( I hope the add-on content of the N64DD version is moved on the 3DS remake =P), Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart, and Pokemon Stadium. The exclusive games were: Nippon (Japan) Golf Tour 64, Doshin the Giant (Moved to the Game Cube), Mario Artist: Polygon Studio, Mario Artist: Commucation Kit, Mario Artist: Paint Studio, Kyojin no Doshin Kaihō Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daishūgou, Sim City 64, Randnet Disk, and Sim City 2000. Phew..... Here's a link for more detailed information and the list of games. http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-64dd/60-101/
The system with it's magnetic disc

A Mario Staute in Sim City 64.

THe N64DD tech demo

The front view of the system

The game cases

It even had a cool start-up screen. =P
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsCK9mUUMU&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011 by Princess Zelda »

Offline Ryoux0

• Your Worst Nightmare
  • Guess who's back!!!
Re: Nintendo 64DD
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 »
I always wondered what that bottom part of the N64 was for.. Wonder what the add ons for Zelda were..

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011 »
Sucks that it was a commercial failure. The add-ons for some games would have been neat for some of those games I had, but it was only released in Japan.

I wonder if those add-ons will be moved to the 3DS, such as Star Fox and Ocarina of Time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 by Vipsoccermaster »

Offline Mizore_Ice

• HELLO AEGIS-KUN
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011 »
That first picture...*thinks of how Sega was a complete failure with that add-on crap*

It would've been neat to play...but nah. I can live with it.

Also, that startup screen is awesomesauce!

Offline MattC

• ggnore sharks
  • aq 
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011 »
It probably failed because of the price. Yeah, it would've been interesting to play but I wouldn't buy it for $300.
hey

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011 »
It's a shame that we never got to test it or have it here to try. I can see why people wouldn't want it; the price is too high. Though it may not have been made, I also want to see if they put the add-ons from it to the 3DS remakes.

Offline Snowy

• cu 
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011 »
MOTHER 3 ;_;
↑↑↑You are nothing but a poor, destitute, desperate, hypocritical, coal-black-hearted Satanspawn who lives off of others' suffering and I am through all of this because I am better than that and you.

Offline Justin

• Too lazy to find/make an avatar.
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011 »
Dude somebody needs to find out those zelda add ons were.

Offline Yoshi1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011 »
Hmmm, yes I've heard of this. It looks weird and I don't know much about it. I heard somewhere (probably Mario Wiki) that there was going to be a Super Mario 128 for this I think but it got scratched.

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011 »
It failed because it didn't have a strong promotion, nor did people see any difference from the 64 to 64DD. And yes, the price was too high, but bad marketing decisions also led to it's demise.