Author Topic: Which languages do you speak or want to learn?  (Read 10570 times)

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
Re: Which languages do you speak or want to learn?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015 »
I speak English (obv. otherwise why would I join an English forum). I also speak French and it's actually what I speak all day, everyday. Finally, I fully speak Spanish and it's actually my second language after French (or 1st depending on your point of view).
I can also understand some words in Portuguese since it's close to spanish, but I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation.

Languages I would love to learn are, Portuguese, to fully understand and because it sounds cute... also Italian and probably Japanese for something different.
Is Montreal more English or French? I remember when we went for our family vacation out east we got lost just outside of the city, and pulled over at a gas station to ask for directions. The girl didn't know any English.
Montreal is mostly French, but a lot of people actually speak English in Montreal. Mostly due to the immigration. It's harder to find people who can speak English outside the city.
I've heard that Montreal is more English than French now so I wasn't entirely sure.
Actually, to be sincerely honest, it's really like a roller coaster. English is taking over the city, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Even though, French isn't lost (yet). It's 50/50. I remember reading an article that said something like 40 something% French and 39.something English which isn't really far behind. Then again, I need to check back my sources.
Quote pyramid rip
On the topic of Franco-Anglo dominance, what's the provinces stance on breaking away from the rest of the country again lol

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline MattC

• ggnore sharks
  • aq 
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015 »
Quote pyramid rip
On the topic of Franco-Anglo dominance, what's the provinces stance on breaking away from the rest of the country again lol
I don't think it's going to ever happen. Quebec would flop without the rest of the country.
hey

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015 »
Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. From what I have heard, most people, mostly the young people, don't care that really much anymore. People who wanted Quebec to become its own country are those baby boomers from the 70s who still think we're in the 60's-70's. Yes, some of the younger citizens want Quebec to become its own country, but it's really a minority now.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015 »
Quebec could not financially sustain itself.
They also have the problem of all the indigenous natives in the north part of Quebec, it's not happening anytime soon.
The Bloc Quebecois only won 4 seats in the last federal election.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015 by Luma Party »

Offline Yoshiman222

• Now a Yoshi-Tactician. :P
  • Dat sanwich tho...
  • ca 
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015 »
Fun times... fun times... :P

And I still can't see what benefits they say they'd get from separation. :P

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015 »
Fun times... fun times... :P

And I still can't see what benefits they say they'd get from separation. :P
The only ''benefit'' they would get is imposing French to everyone.

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing to see here, move along
  • Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015 »
I speak American English. Going to learn German. Want to learn Japanese.

Offline Don't make me beg

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015 »
Have I posted here? English mainly and learning Russian (can holdmup simple conversations now.) Used to know a bit of Tagalog. Funny enough Russian was actually my first language but I forgot it in the Philippines.

Would like to learn Japanese some day so I can play j gamee. :P
I'm crossing you in style

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015 »
Have I posted here? English mainly and learning Russian (can holdmup simple conversations now.) Used to know a bit of Tagalog. Funny enough Russian was actually my first language but I forgot it in the Philippines.

Would like to learn Japanese some day so I can play j gamee. :P
How do you forget your first language?

Offline Don't make me beg

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015 »
It's only technically my first language. Spoke it before I learned English as a toddler or whatever. My main language has always been English. Just didn't use it for 6 years, which killed it.
I'm crossing you in style

Offline MKGirlism

• Oh.
  • Oh.
  • jp 
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015 »
I'm born with 2 native Languages: Polish and Dutch.
Polish because of the family I grew up with, and Dutch because of the country I grew up in.
Thanks to the fact The Netherlands favours Sub Titles over Dubs, I quickly picked up English at a young age.
Now I live in Japan, I also speak a great amount of Japanese.

Languages I can't speak myself, but I can understand include Czech, German, Afrikaans, and a bit of Bulgarian.
I also attempted learning Spanish, German and Chinese at some point, but I realised these Languages just aren't my passion.

Offline Accj21

• Teamwork makes the meme work
  • Purple is my new favorite color
  • us 
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015 »
I speak English (big surprise) and am currently learning German.

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015 »
I speak English (big surprise) and am currently learning German.
I'm gonna start learning German sometime this year.

Offline Ether

• sucks
  • rip torn
  • ye 
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015 »
Let's get the show on the road:

LANGUAGE(S) I'M FLUENT IN: English
LANGUAGE(S) I SORT OF KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE IN BUT NOT REALLY: French and German
LANGUAGE(S) I'M CURRENTLY LEARNING: n/a
LANGUAGE(S) I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN: French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Icelandic, American Sign Language, probably Vietnamese, Russian, Irish/Scottish Gaelic, whatever I can learn, really.