Author Topic: Things You Don't Like in Games  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Viboolin of the Pancake

• Do the Floppy Pancake!
  • I'm almost always on Skype.~
  • ph 
Re: Things You Don't Like in Games
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015 »
Remember when certain games were like "Spin the stick super fast to do this thing and give your palm blisters!"? I still hate that to this day.
Oh geezelus chrysler, those? I remember having to get my mom to help me with those on Minigame Island in MP1. I think I still would need the help if I was still playing that, too.
If you want to add me on Skype, just ask!
Currently Playing: Smash 4 (both versions), Mario Kart 8, RP Books, Super Puzzle Platformer
Wants: Hyrule Warriors, My RPs to start, Cavvie
(Yes, I like Doraemon)

Offline Bowser498

• Bowser498: Super Mario Video Game Expert
  • Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015 »
Remember when certain games were like "Spin the stick super fast to do this thing and give your palm blisters!"? I still hate that to this day.
Oh geezelus chrysler, those? I remember having to get my mom to help me with those on Minigame Island in MP1. I think I still would need the help if I was still playing that, too.
Oh boy, I hate those minigames xD
It almost felt like I was going to break the circular arrow key mechanism... (I forgot the name :P)

-IN THE PROCESS OF REDOING MY SIG- :ssb4yoshi: :ssb4bowser:

Offline Yoshiman222

• Now a Yoshi-Tactician. :P
  • Dat sanwich tho...
  • ca 
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015 »
Pointless minigames in a Party Game.
MP10 has a LOT of these.

Also stupid rules in minigames.

What I mean is from MP10, there are MULTIPLE minigames where you have Hearts/a Timer, and the objective is to reach the end first, regardless of your remaining hearts/timer. Also being AUTO-SCROLL TOO MEANING YOUR HEARTS/REMAINING TIME ARE WORTHLESS AND THERE'S NO POINT IN TRYING UNTIL THE VERY END BECAUSE NOTHING MATTERS UNLESS YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF HEARTS/TIME WHICH NEVER HAPPENS TO ME WHEN I PLAY ANYHOW.

Offline Timmy

• ~Yo-YO, let's GO! PSI Prodigy!~
  • ca 
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015 »
Hm... I guess I'll put my dislikes according to the type of game it is (although some dislikes are not just limited to that type). =P

RPGs

- Tedious backtracking, especially with slow movements: I feel like the Paper Mario series is a prime example of this. Going from Point A to Point B and then to Point G and repeating like 6 times is just boring. Not just for the main game as well, but this can also include sidequests (i.e. Super Paper Mario's sidequest for Piccolo). I also don't like how slow your movements are; not just on land, but say when you're boating and on the pipelines for Spring Jumping. :P

- Limited inventory space: Now, in games like the M&L series and the recent Pokemon games where you can carry like up to 99 (999 for Pokemon :P) of each item, I don't mind. BUT when you have, say, 10 slots for each item AND it fills up quick (i.e. Paper Mario and Earthbound series and the old Pokemon games, mainly Gen 1), especially with items being sugarcoated, it's really irritating.
Oh and also I hate when you buy something to replace your old equips, only to find a more powerful equip for free, SHORTLY after you purchase it.

- Limited usage of "standard" moves: This one mainly applies to the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon series. I have to carry like a billion Elixirs just to prevent myself from running out of PP for a dungeon, especially if I want to grind level. And sometimes you're not even trying to grind but you're surrounded with all these enemies in your way lol.

- Battle animations taking a while: This is mainly for Pokemon games on console (Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, Battle Revolution and Stadium). It slows down the game a LOT, and it's even worse when bosses decide to heal. I've even had a few boss fights take like over 30 mins lol.

Party Games

- Bias that favors the CPUs: I swear there are SOME things that the CPU can do that you cannot. In Mario Party 5's Coney Island and 7's Big Dropper (is that what it's called? The one where you're collecting honey? :P) where they can PUSH you out of the way and steal it for themselves and you cannot do it back to them. Then there's a few luck based things like in 7's Ghost in the Hall where they seem to know the path to escape or 6's Pitifall like they know which rope is the correct one.

Platformers/Adventure

- Water Levels: I cannot stand water levels for making your movement sluggish, limiting your options (i.e. in Mario you usually can't attack enemies without a power-up lol) and in some cases, give you an air meter.

- Being "forced" into a state that limits your actions until you decide to take a hit: This is mainly for the 3D Mario Platformers; I never liked how you couldn't get rid of things like the Drill or having a Spring Mushroom until you've been hit, and in SM3DW, head items such as the cannon box.
And here, I kinda go off-topic, but in SM3DW, I did not like how holding the Run button would force you to pick up an ally if you're near them; this was problematic on levels where you're riding the parachute because if you picked up someone you'd have to keep a hold of them otherwise they'd die from you throwing them or having them jump off. :P

- Levels that are "collect X # of these", especially on a timer: These felt really tedious and lazy to me and they're not a lot of fun tbh. Galaxy games are guilty of this.

Puzzle/Logic Games

- Disruptions that occur TOO frequently and cover TOO much: In things like Candy Crush, Cupcake Mania, Pokemon Shuffle, etc., some levels have things to limit the movement of the pieces, but some are ridiculously annoying to get past. One of the prime examples is in Pokemon Shuffle and Mega Glalie's level, who can freeze 2 columns like every 2-3 turns and you'll often have to get a board reset there. :P

Other things

- Bad (hitbox) detection and misleading things: Some games have TERRIBLE detection as to where you'll get hit or get to the finish. Some Mario Parties are like this (Mario Party Island Tour's Harriet Horror, Great Bars of Fire, MP10's Hammer Slammer and Snake Block Party, sometimes Mario Kart online :P) where you'll be outside of the hitbox but still get hit or CLEARLY get to the finish first and still lose. Then as Yoshiman said, there are a few mini-games in MP10 that have hearts but DON'T EVEN MATTER, but you'd think the objective is to survive with the most (I glare at you Peepa Panic). As for another misleading thing, I DESPISE the red death spark. I usually get it on someone, but it's either "did you really expect to live this at that damage?!" (i.e. Ness' B-Throw at 150%) or "did you actually live that?". Then when it DOESN'T appear, the person actually does get KO'd.

- Too much lenience (especially on losing players): My prime example here is Smash 4 lol. I do NOT like the rage mechanic, Lucario's Aura mechanic or the Pity Final Smashes, and also I DESPISE how lenient dodging is. Not having Rage makes your KO moves kill like 30% later than if you were to have 100% (apparently without rage I couldn't KO a Captain Falcon from the center of Final Destination when he was at 138%), then Lucario's aura AND the rage mechanic stacks so it grants him incredible KO power, even starting from like 80%. I was also never a fan of Pity Final Smashes. But the most irritating thing for me is how lenient dodging is... There is BARELY a window to punish a roll; even if you make a read on it, chances are their shield will be up before your attack would actually hit them out of the roll. Spotdodge is faster too, and you can't fall off a platform while you're shielding anymore, so it's SUPER safe. Some characters dodge INSANELY fast too (Lucario, Lil' Mac and the Pits) and some characters have a moveset that CANNOT punish rolls for being SO safe (i.e. Charizard). Even things like your get up actions after being knocked down or ledge actions are quite safe too, with very little window to punish.

- Tedious unlockables: Once again, the Smash series is a prime example here. Some of the challenges have you doing a mode with ALL characters, which is way too time consuming, and then there are things like customs that require you to get lucky to unlock one you haven't received before. One of the things I wish they did was prevent you from unlocking a repeat; my first time doing Smash Run with Mario I got like 3 Gust Cape customs. :P

...I'm probs forgetting some stuff but yeah that's my ramble. =P

Offline Viboolin of the Pancake

• Do the Floppy Pancake!
  • I'm almost always on Skype.~
  • ph 
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015 »

But the most irritating thing for me is how lenient dodging is... There is BARELY a window to punish a roll; even if you make a read on it, chances are their shield will be up before your attack would actually hit them out of the roll. Spotdodge is faster too, and you can't fall off a platform while you're shielding anymore, so it's SUPER safe. Some characters dodge INSANELY fast too (Lucario, Lil' Mac and the Pits) and some characters have a moveset that CANNOT punish rolls for being SO safe (i.e. Charizard). Even things like your get up actions after being knocked down or ledge actions are quite safe too, with very little window to punish.
I thought air dodging would actually be mentioned here...Normally not a huge issue online, as juggling is totally possible there, but it makes the AI impossible to juggle in smash 4. I try so hard and they will always make it back to ground or a ledge unless it's someone with bad recovery and I explicitly punish the recovery arc.
But when you do go to online, yeah, dodging is EXTREMELY lenient. Sometimes it even feels like spamming rolls will actually keep you safer than actually moving around on the ground and air and gracefully spacing. Dodging needs to have less invincibility frames at the very least. Nothing more frustrating than whiffing Dr. Mario's Fsmash for a potential KO when you successfully read a roll.
If you want to add me on Skype, just ask!
Currently Playing: Smash 4 (both versions), Mario Kart 8, RP Books, Super Puzzle Platformer
Wants: Hyrule Warriors, My RPs to start, Cavvie
(Yes, I like Doraemon)