Author Topic: Yooka-Laylee  (Read 36135 times)

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
Re: Yooka-Laylee
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2015 »
Playtonic has a small update.
They also did a Q&A with Kev Bayliss in that update, he was the one who redesigned Donkey Kong.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015 »
Here's a long interview with Redbull, it's an interesting read.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2015 »
After a long time without any new art, we got rocks.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015 »

Playtonic Games and Team17 Digital Ltd. have announced a partnership deal, and are eyeing a physical retail release .
Quote from: Playtonic Games
Dear backers, friends and people who misspelled platonic in Google search,

Playtonic was founded because our team wanted to create the kind of games we used to, in the way that we used to; in a small, collaborative team in an environment that breeds creativity. We believed these philosophies appealed not only to us, but also to you, the fans and through your incredible support of our Kickstarter you proved that we were at least half-right.

Today were heads down, full of caffeine (and cake), totally focussed on delivering a game that lives up to your expectations and ticks every one of our Kickstarter promises. A quick look over my shoulder and I can see animations, characters, sprawling levels and new gameplay features flying in to the latest build the pent-up passion from the whole team for this game is unstoppable, and we cant wait to show you more of Yooka-Laylee in the future.

In order for the Playtonic team to continue concentrating 100% on delivering the best game possible, were excited to announce that weve partnered with independent games label Team17, who will handle the long list of support tasks we need as an independent developer.

From the start we said wed welcome a partner that could genuinely improve the creation of Yooka-Laylee, but only if that relationship maintained our core principles and independence. Team 17 impressed us from day one with both its passion for the game (in fact, a lot of their staff are backers!) and its vast experience of collaborating with indie devs.

To clarify, this isnt a traditional publisher deal: Team 17 understands what we want to achieve as a studio and has created a unique partnership with us. Team 17 will improve Yooka-Laylee in a myriad of ways, not least in expanded localisation (more languages!), QA testing, certification and store management Basically, all the stuff that game creators dont want to worry about.

Playtonic remains completely independent and owns everything we do thanks to you and were really, really proud to be able to say that our game is 100% funded via Kickstarter.

The whole team are chuffed to bits to have Team 17s support. Its taken lots of non-game dev pressure off our ageing, clicking shoulders (not a joke sadly) while Team 17 uses its expertise in other areas, including the various business necessities that indie studios traditionally struggle with.  Because lets be honest; nobody wants Kev Bayliss searching for bugs all day, or Grant Kirkhope attempting to translate a joke into Portuguese you want them focussed on creating a great game.

With the resources and expertise of a great partner behind us, were now more confident than ever that we can deliver Yooka-Laylee to backers and new fans alike on time and in the best possible shape it can be. If you have any questions about the announcement feel free to contact us on Twitter, email or via the forums and thanks again for your support.

Gavin Price & The entire (still growing) Playtonic Team
Source

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015 »
Playtonic has added two more developers.
One of them, Karn Bianco is an ex-Rare dev, who did work on Kinect Sports, Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves.
The other, Becky Lavender is the first developer (not employee as Andy Robinson is with them) with no experience at Rare to join Playtonic, and had her independent work shown at the Foundation of Digital Games conference in California.

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015 »
I have not been paying attention to the development of this game at all.

But from what I've heard it sounds like it'll be good, and since it's based off of Banjo Kazooie it's bound to have some similarities & references. Also, isn't JonTron one of the voice actors for this game?
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2015 »
Here's some new artwork from the latest EDGE issue.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015 »
Playtonic has added two more ex-Rare devs. (Warning: There might be some stuff you don't want to read in that link. XD)
Dave Rose, who worked on Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Sea of Thieves and more, and Ross Bullimore, who worked on Perfect Dark before joining studio Super Massive and working on many PlayStation games including LittleBigPlanet and Until Dawn. Playtonic now has 12 employees, as well as Kev Bayliss, and composers Grant Kirkhope, David Wise and Steve Burke helping with Yooka-Laylee.

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015 »
Playtonic has added two more ex-Rare devs. (Warning: There might be some stuff you don't want to read in that link. XD)
Dave Rose, who worked on Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Sea of Thieves and more, and Ross Bullimore, who worked on Perfect Dark before joining studio Super Massive and working on many PlayStation games including LittleBigPlanet and Until Dawn. Playtonic now has 12 employees, as well as Kev Bayliss, and composers Grant Kirkhope, David Wise and Steve Burke helping with Yooka-Laylee.

Perfect Dark...
*Cries in a corner* *Nostalgia...*

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2015 »
LittleBigPlanet and Until Dawn
This game is officially mine LOL

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2015 »
More Art!

Character Animation!

They say the first level is pretty much complete now.
Source

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2015 »
OMG DAT CUTE LITTLE GHOST IS SO CUTEH

Offline Bowser498

• Bowser498: Super Mario Video Game Expert
  • Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2015 »
Obviously... :P
Why wouldn't it be, Raf?

-IN THE PROCESS OF REDOING MY SIG- :ssb4yoshi: :ssb4bowser:

Offline SirYoshi211

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2015 »
That one piece of artwork is beautiful. It captures the spirit of adventuring. Also that ghost animation is cute. Sounds like they're making some good progress if they say the first level is pretty much complete.
"Darn, I love the cold. I mean, I just plain love it!"- Sir Weston, Luigi's Mansion

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2015 »
IGN just revealed a new character!
His name is "Rextro Sixtyfourus", and he is the guardian of the Arcade Machines in-game.

Quote from: Luke Karmali (IGN)
Today, were kicking things off with the reveal of Rextro Sixtyfourus, an old-school dinosaur character that looks like hes been ripped straight out of a late 90s 3D platformer, complete with blocky, polygonal, interlaced body. Designed by Mark Stevenson - who worked on the Donkey Kong Country series and was lead artist on Donkey Kong Country 3, Donkey Kong 64 and Kameo Rextro was originally going to be unveiled during the games Kickstarter campaign, but it was ultimately decided to keep him under wraps until now.
Check Out Rextro in Action in the Video Above
We decided on using a dinosaur pretty early on as this is a creature that naturally associates with a past era, says Stevenson. Then I think mostly my inspiration came from work Id done previously on characters for the Donkey Kong 64 game. From this work I knew the kind of forms we had to create due to low polygon counts, so this inspired the shapes used to create Rextros blocky feet and hands that are virtually cubes. All the polygons in Rexto have hard edges as well: this affects how the light shines on him meaning you can basically see all the polygon faces as individual facets.
I wanted Rex to to feel like he captured the era of games from my early career which also included work on the Donkey Kong games on the Super Nintendo. Finally just to reinforce the retro aspect some more, I created a custom shader that creates a scanline effect on Rextro to make him look like hes being viewed on an old school CRT TV.

Rextros role in Yooka-Laylee is as guardian of the arcade machines hidden on each level. Each world hides at least one secret arcade game encasing old-school gaming goodness, and completing its retro challenge will enable you to claim another Pagie. While this explains the decision to make him a dinosaur, it impacted his design in other ways too.
He evolved quite naturally really, the only part of him that we really took some time to settle on was his accessory around his neck which started out as a red tie very much like Donkey Kong before we settled on a medallion made from one of the games Play Tokens to reference his crucially important task, explains Stevenson.

Source

This is the dinosaur character Stevenson mentioned during their Reddit AMA.