Author Topic: What Draws You in Toward VGs?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Mizore_Ice

• HELLO AEGIS-KUN
What Draws You in Toward VGs?
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
Gameplay... Definitely...

Maybe even the atmosphere the VG brings.

Character personalities and interactions would be another...

--

IDC about story like I once thought I did.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:26:07 AM by Unknown Entity »

Offline Viboolin of the Pancake

• Do the Floppy Pancake!
  • I'm almost always on Skype.~
  • ph 
Re: What Draws You in Toward VGs?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
I'm so used to VG standing for vanguard that I thought this was about CFVG for a moment.

I mostly play video games because of the following:
-Gameplay is exciting and leveling on the game really feels like an achievement. Immersing yourself in the game's world and becoming stronger really feels great, no matter how "pointless" video games may be to some. That's also why I push myself to level on MMOs.
-Storyline. Video games are another form of media, basically. They're like books you can interact with in some way. Of course, some games don't have stories (or rather, don't need one) and still succeed, and video game stories are generally harder to write because video games are more difficult to create than books.

I think that's it.
If you want to add me on Skype, just ask!
Currently Playing: Smash 4 (both versions), Mario Kart 8, RP Books, Super Puzzle Platformer
Wants: Hyrule Warriors, My RPs to start, Cavvie
(Yes, I like Doraemon)

Offline Mizore_Ice

• HELLO AEGIS-KUN
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
What would you say was the most compelling story you've exp'd in a VG, Viboolin?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:11:15 AM by Unknown Entity »

• Do the Floppy Pancake!
  • ph 
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »
Oh boy....umm...

The one I probably remember best was from Tales of the Abyss (I'm a Tales fangirl) and its moral of how just because something's written or supported by evidence (comma?) doesn't mean it's always true.
Also Mana Khemia 1's idea about how you shouldn't be afraid of your own abilities, and you shouldn't isolate yourself simply because you're "powerful" or over some other weird mental construct. (That game could've been written a little better, but the moral made a lot of sense)

(I put comma? there because I wasn't sure if to put a comma after evidence)
Currently Playing: Smash 4 (both versions), Mario Kart 8, RP Books, Super Puzzle Platformer
(Yes, I like Doraemon)

Offline Mizore_Ice

• HELLO AEGIS-KUN
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
So, you ARE a Tales fan.(someone on this forum stated you were)

If you couldn't tell by my sig and avy, I'm a fan as well(and a big Richard fan...).

I admit Abyss has one of the more strong storylines... Along with Symphonia...

Offline Justin

• Too lazy to find/make an avatar.
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
I enjoy getting lost into different worlds and such and just get engulfed with stories. It's relaxing, and gameplay is important too. It's satisfying to complete a game, a level.wold, level up, gain experience etc. It's also fun to experience a lot of different things, which is why I would say that the types of games I play varies quite a bit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:36:14 PM by Justin »

Offline Strychnine

• I'm dead.
  • alkaloid compound
  • aq 
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
I like the ideas. So whenever I'm done gaming I can think about them some more.

Well I don't imagine so I will see for myself - HJ

Offline Snowy

• cu 
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »
For RPGs, I like a good lore, good areas to explore, and lots of things to level. I think that's why I'm hooked on FFXIV right now, it's got so much for me to work on and it has a lot of story to it.
↑↑↑You are nothing but a poor, destitute, desperate, hypocritical, coal-black-hearted Satanspawn who lives off of others' suffering and I am through all of this because I am better than that and you.

• Do the Floppy Pancake!
  • ph 
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Wait what woah!?
I didn't even realize that was Richard! XD I honestly thought it was a woman for the longest time, so it passed over my head.

Speaking of which, I suppose comedy is something I like about video games too, although that's more related to storyline most of the time. That came to mind because I remember Graces F being one of the most hilarious games I've played. The writer for it could've totally done a comedy show if he wanted.
(Yes, I like Doraemon)

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
Well for me, It will be online gameplay or a good storyline. With online capabilities you can face people all around the world or friends that are very far away from you, though there might be some lag but it should not stop you from having a good experience.

Another major attraction is storyline, there are so many games with so many characters you can connect with while exploring a hurge hub world filled with awesome collectibles.

Offline Luigidenne3DSGCN

• A Super Triple Deluxe Supreme Pokemon-Befriendng Mansioneer
  • "Road got 'ya down? Enter the Luge."
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
In one word, I would say charm; from cool characters and clever mechanics to the increasingly breathtaking worlds I get to experience, and just plain exciting things to play around with. The music also became a huge part some time ago.
"At last, the promise has been made..." and then some. :ssb4cloud:
:luigi: :toadette: :toad: :mario: :peach: :daisy: :rosalina: :donkeykong: :diddykong: :shyguy: :boo: :penguin: :ssb4luigi: :ssb4rosalina: :ssb4kirby: :ssb4kingdedede:  :ssb4pikachu: :ssb4jigglypuff: :ssb4toonlink: :ssb4link: :ssb4zelda: :ssb4sheik: :ssb4palutena: :ssb4villager_f: :ssb4reflet: :ssb4lucina: :ssb4kamui::ssb4mewtwo: