Author Topic: Irrational Behavior That Sadly Is Too Common In The Gaming Community  (Read 1450 times)

Offline ttwashere

• Chicken Chaser
From the Treese On Games section of my blog.

As you have probably heard by now Irrational Games,  the developer of Bioshock, System Shock 2, Bioshock: Infinite, etc closed yesterday. What occurred on Twitter as the news broke was a beautiful thing. Countless journalists and fellow game designers tweeted out Job openings and well wishes to Irrational employees that had lost their jobs. Companies from Retro to Insomniac to Platinum Games all tweeted out encouragement and job openings. So of course the gaming community had to do what came natural and ruin the beautiful moment with immaturity and what I would like to call being a F***ing dick.

JP Kellams of Platinum Games tweeted out the following:
If any Irrational Games folks are up for an adventure, PlatinumGames is always on one. Hit me up and Ill get you with the right people.

So a nameless internet user going by @Visteps replied:
@PG_jp I've been laid off from Irrational.. thanks but not thanks, I prefer to be working on healthy platforms not a dead console

Platinum Games, a third party developer, has worked on two video games for the Nintendo Wii U (the "dead console" in question) and games for other prominent publishers such as Sega and Konami. So obviously they are putting all their eggs in the Nintendo Wii U basket by making games they were contracted by Nintendo themselves to make. JP responded with a scathing commentary on both gaming and the supposed Irrational Games employee:
Quote from: @PG_jp
Looking at your feed, you clearly arent, which makes your tweet one of the lowest, tactless pieces of s*** Ive ever read.
Your tweet isnt disrespectful to me. It is disrespectful to all those out of work with families to feed.
Personally speaking, never buy a single game I work on, because I would be ashamed to ever have to call you a fan.
I know that @visteps is just a douchebag fanboy/troll But impersonating someone who is out of work. Im so F***ing livid right now.
a******s like that dont deserve to play games. They are joyless pr***s who really need to be kicked out of our fandom.

@Visteps later sent me a message on twitter after I had tweeted out that what he did was a, "scummy thing to do". He said, "What worrying about other people best options? No ending up in the same situation by working on a dead platform" and totally missed the point JP had made. What pissed him off wasn't the Nintendo-bashing that JP and other Platinum Games employees see on a daily basis it was how he had imitated an Irrational Games employee and decided to use that as a way to diss Nintendo and Platinum Games. After explaining this to him he replied with one of the most ridiculous tweets I have ever read:

Quote from: @Visteps
@TylerTreese I honestly feel, I touched a nerve or something
It was a sarcastic way of implying working on a dead plat is not best choice

You feel like you touched a nerve? Really? Making light of dozens of the most talented people working in games today losing their jobs touched a nerve when you talked to a Creative Producer? Gaming is an industry where some of the most talented people can be without a job with zero notice. It's an industry where your game can sell over a million copies and it under-performs. It's an industry where talented people like JP can be jobless in a day and you think you might have touched a nerve? As Ed Lover would say, "Come on son".

More Reading:

Quote from: Patrick Klepek
When the Internet turns on you, it's hard to describe the emotional rollercoaster that goes along with it. You can't exactly walk away from the Internet forever. While looking at a long list of abuse Tweets directed at Nguyen, it's easy to distance yourself from it because, hey, it's not you. But I've been on the other side of that equation, albeit not to the same scale as Nguyen. When someone directs a threat of violence at you, it feels very personal. Every single one of them. When someone photoshops my wife into a photo to try and unsettle me, it feels very god damn personal. You cannot distance yourself from attacks that are directed at you, and to suggest otherwise only underscores one's lack of experience with the subject. You need a thick skin to survive as a public figure on the Internet, but that doesn't mean there aren't chinks in your armor. And as Jim Sterling mentioned on this week's morning show, it doesn't mean there isn't skin underneath. That skin can get raw.
- Our Internet Empathy Problem by Patrick Klepek

Thoughts?
Hit me up on twitter.

Offline Don't make me beg

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
I don't see what the big deal is, honestly. Dicks are an inseparable part of humanity, and I don't see why the gaming community would be any different. Honestly seems like you're getting a bit too worked up about this lol.
I'm crossing you in style

Offline ttwashere

• Chicken Chaser
Dicks are an inseparable part of humanity
Doesn't mean it should be tolerated. If something is wrong we should do something about it.
Hit me up on twitter.

Offline MattC

• ggnore sharks
  • aq 
is the video game industry one where you essentially need good connections to land a decent job?

if so, that visteps guy really shouldn't be choosy about which developers offer him employment
hey

Offline ttwashere

• Chicken Chaser
is the video game industry one where you essentially need good connections to land a decent job?

if so, that visteps guy really shouldn't be choosy about which developers offer him employment
Connections is good in all industries. Visteps admitted he isn't an actual employee (shocking). I've never really seen a designer burn bridges with a place that he didnt already work for.
Hit me up on twitter.

Offline MattC

• ggnore sharks
  • aq 

Connections is good in all industries. Visteps admitted he isn't an actual employee (shocking). I've never really seen a designer burn bridges with a place that he didnt already work for.
i mean like getting a good job in the industry pretty much relies on who you know because there are 500 other people who have the same qualifications and skill set as you.

platinum games doesn't seem like a company i would burn bridges with.
hey