Author Topic: PlayStation 4  (Read 22030 times)

Offline Colyton

• ca 
PlayStation 4
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed see the future. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vitas rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

Were told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but its not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

I must say that I'm pretty excited to see how this will turn out! I can't wait for February 20th. C:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:49:35 PM by Vipsoccermaster »

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
Re: Playstation 4
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
Nice. If the article is true, then the PS4 is to be more powerful than the next Xbox 360. Wow. But really, I wonder how much PS4 will retail for, because Sony keeps posting losses. I'm certain they will still sell the PS4 at a loss. It's nice to see them unveiling this, but I thought they still want to let Microsoft make a move first. Or maybe they are, in which they're waiting for the next Xbox to come out for release before the PS4.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:25:05 AM »
I got an email with that Playstation2013 video. I'm kind of excited to see what'll be showed, which'll probably be the PS4. :P

That's gonna be a good week, considering I'm getting Revengeance the day before. =)

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
What do you guys expect to be announced specifically? Do you think they will show any games? The controller? Dare I say it, a release and price?

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:07:03 AM »
I think they will show the system and the controller. Maybe a trailer of a game for it, too. The release and price will probably come at E3 2013, as they did it with PS3 in E3 2006 and Vita in E3 2011. There's also possibilities of PS4 blocking used games, but I doubt Sony will do that.

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »
All what Vip said, I guess showing the console is the minimum they can do. Probably give precisions on features it will have such as the PS Home, if it has something similar.

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
Do you guys think it will be backwards compatible with the PS3? This is an important factor for me, but I wouldn't count on it as they took out PS2 support on the PS3 pretty early on.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Do you guys think it will be backwards compatible with the PS3? This is an important factor for me, but I wouldn't count on it as they took out PS2 support on the PS3 pretty early on.
I don't think so. I doubt Sony is that big on backwards compatibility, so they'll most likely make PS4 not to have any with PS3. This will upset a lot of people who have a PS3, as they would need to keep the PS3 for the PS3 games. This is one thing they might do to keep costs down.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:27:16 AM by Vipsoccermaster »

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I honestly think the PS4 will be backwards compatible, why woudn't they? Plus, it'll help if the PS4 doesn't have a huge library right from the start.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »

The PlayStation 4 controller has been leaked. It's only a prototype, though. It looks okay, and the touch-screen is really small. I wonder what does the light on top do?

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »
If it really is the PS4 controller, it is basically the same as the PS3's with only a screen added. I don't have any problem with the model.

Offline Polar

• au 
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:23 AM »
I wonder what does the light on top do?
It does this:

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
I wonder what does the light on top do?
It does this:

Lol, that would be true if Sony does implement that.

Also, there are rumors that PS4 will allow streaming for PlayStation 3 games. Here's one such source.

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:35 PM »
Is that really real or typical fake-ads? :P
I honestly do not know, but it's probably typical fake-ads.