Author Topic: Ex-Rare Developers Join Forces To Create A Spiritual Successor To Banjo-Tooie  (Read 922 times)

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
Quote from: NintendoLife
Nothing puts a frown on a Nintendo fan's face like mentioning Rare. The company that once brought Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie and GoldenEye 007 are currently working on the Kinect Sports series for Microsoft. While most gamers have given up on seeing a new "proper" Banjo Kazooie sequel from Rare, a new glimmer of hope has arisen. Sort of.

A handful of ex-Rare members have joined up in hope of gaining enough support to develop a spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie, including series composer Grant Kirkhope and artist Steven Hurst. While we'll have to wait to see how this all pans out, you can show your support by following their Twitter account. So far there have been hints that the Unity engine might be considered for this new dose of googly-eyed goodness.

---#unity will probably be perfect for our spiritual successor. I'm thinking keeping level of detail and googly eyes close to the original ...

Source

I'm loving this news! ;D I'm already following them and I suggest you Banjo-Kazooie lovers follow them as well! I'm hoping that they'll start a Kickstarter page because I know they'll get a massive amount of pledges for this.

Anyone else hyped up for this? ;D

Offline Gameguy1996

• us 
I would love if the Ex Developers made A Successor to Banjo-Tooie but I would not get my hopes up.

Thanks DJ Swangler

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
I would love to see this happen, but I doubt it will. Microsoft/Rare still owns the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. Microsoft still wouldn't let them be on the Nintendo platforms unless it's the handheld, since Microsoft has no business in the handheld department.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
I would love to see this happen, but I doubt it will. Microsoft/Rare still owns the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. Microsoft still wouldn't let them be on the Nintendo platforms unless it's the handheld, since Microsoft has no business in the handheld department.

Well duh. >_> That's why they said "spiritual successor" and not "successor". Here's the definition, from Wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel or a companion piece, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not directly build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, but nevertheless features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material.

They know they can't use Rare's IP's, but the game would have the feeling, humor, etc. of the first two Banjo-Kazooie games. Even though it wouldn't have the same characters that we've grown to love, they're giving us an oppurtunity to show support so they can get this going. I'm definitely backing this because I'd love to see another game made from the guys of the good ol' "Rareware".

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
Yeah, I know. Too bad I don't have Twitter, so I can't really support them, but I hope they consider doing this project to its full potential. Unless if they could buy the IP of Banjo-Kazooie, but that's highly doubtful. again.

Those guys should do so and it would be like the old days again, providing Nintendo publishes it, or forms a partnership with them.