Author Topic: Nintendo Power to shut down after December Issue  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
Nintendo Power to shut down after December Issue
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
Quote from: NintendoLife
In a surprising development, it's being reported by respected website arstechnica.com that Nintendo Power may be ceasing publication. A source has stated that Nintendo is currently uninterested in renewing its contract with publisher Future, and has given no indications that it will take over responsibility for the magazine itself, as it did until Future was contracted in 2007. It's reported that Nintendo Power staff were advised of the development last week and are being gradually moved into other Future publications.

It's currently unclear how many issues of the magazine are remaining, and we should stress that the decision hasn't been formally confirmed by either Nintendo or Future Publishing. That said, Nintendo Power senior editor Chris Hoffman posted the following tweet, and more in a similar vein, in a response to a reader saying the team had done a great job.

---Thanks. We'll try to make the last issues memorable.s

Should Nintendo Power cease publication, it'll be an iconic loss as a gaming magazine and also as a major part of Nintendo pop-culture. It's been in existence since the summer of 1988 and was a go-to source of Nintendo information for a generation of gamers, particularly in the pre-internet age.

Once Nintendo or Future clarifies or confirms this story we'll post an update.
Source

Sad to hear that, though I haven't bought one in years. I use to love getting these from the grocery store and sit down to read all about the games and see all the pictures. The internet is the main source of news, so I can see why Nintendo would cease their physical publications. Still, I'm gonna miss reading them. It's not confirmed by Nintendo yet, but it'd make sense for them to shut it down.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:17:58 AM by Chubzster »

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
Re: Rumor: Nintendo Power looks to shut down
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
I'm currently subscribed to it. But yes, this is disappointing to hear. Good thing I subscribed to this in early 2011 for little bonuses throughout the year. However, I think there's still a bit of hope - I think they may continue in digital production, and completely abandon the print versions.

Offline Sax

• Cotton Commander
  • Prankster at work
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
I love this magazine so much. I wish they didn't stop it. I look forward to it every month.

Offline Zero Revolution

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
WHAT?! This is(was) the only gaming related magazine I actually liked. -_-

Offline Gameguy1996

• us 
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
I hope Nintendo power does not stop because I got it every time a new one cames out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:38:38 PM by gameguy1996 »

Thanks DJ Swangler

Offline charles109

• us 
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
I may miss my favorite magazine of Nintendo Power.

Offline Yoshiman222

• Now a Yoshi-Tactician. :P
  • Dat sanwich tho...
  • ca 
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
This would suck... I enjoyed getting my monthly subscription...
I hope they don't stop and keep on making more... :(

Offline Deceptive Dislike

• Silence
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
Oh well, that sucks, my cousin works (or worked, don't remember if he's still there or not) on Nintendo Power, shame to hear.

Offline Zero Revolution

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
Oh well, that sucks, my cousin works (or worked, don't remember if he's still there or not) on Nintendo Power, shame to hear.
Wow that's pretty cool.

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »
Good. This piece of crap fanboy magazine had the worst reviews and the writers were downright egotistical numbnuts. The UK's Official Nintendo Magazine is way better if you're a fan of Nintendo.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
Re: Nintendo Power to shut down after December Issue
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Quote from: Kotaku
Yesterday, news broke suddenly that Nintendo Powerone of the oldest game magazines aroundwould be shutting down. Today, Nintendo confirms that the Future-published magazine is ending this year. Here's their official statement:

Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012. For Nintendo Power subscription inquiries, please visit nintendopower.com/customerservice. Check out Nintendo at nintendo.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/nintendo or on Twitter @nintendoamerica.

Earlier today, Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski wrote about how his love for video games was fueled by getting an issue of Nintendo Power every month. He certainly wasn't alone.

We now have confirmation by Nintendo about the closure of Nintendo Power and it'll end with the December 2012 issue.

I'll probably pick up the last few Nintendo Powers, just for the nostalgia of looking through them.

Anyone else gonna pick up the final issues?

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Well, I'm currently subscribed to it as I said earlier, and the subscription should last until like May 2013, so I'll definitely have the December 2012 issue.

Offline Lord Vaati

• Better than Ganon in every way.
  • ca 
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
Too bad about thiss getting shut down. I wanted to subscribe, but I never did
No more sig.... awwwww....

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
Actually, it does state that it would only be FUTURE that they are ending their contract with. Nintendo can take over the magazine again and just hire new people. I don't understand how some business tactics work, but some veterans like Chris Hoffman have been with the magazine before Future so I don't understand why all pre-Future staff writers would be let go.

Offline Yoshiman222

• Now a Yoshi-Tactician. :P
  • Dat sanwich tho...
  • ca 
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
Ahh... dang... sucks that this is going now...
It's a good thing my current subscription last until December anyways :P