Daisy's Garden v2.6

Daisy's Garden v2.6.json

Filesize: 1.03MB  Views: (1141)  Downloads (750)  
Description: "Budding blooms and pesky pests." With Waluigi bringing the party to the island, so too does Daisy bring the party to her garden!

The main gimmick of this board is the layout, shaped like a flower. As it's easy to loop around the board on the main path, take advantage of the various "petals", each with their own benefits. Some are filled with items, some have more Battle Spaces, one has Boo, and one has Chance Time.

Speaking of events, custom events are totally at play here! There are 5 Happening Spaces near flowerbeds that warp you to another space (the pollen makes you sneeze yourself to another space). Note: efforts have been made to prevent the player from returning to Start after landing on the Happening Space next to Wiggler, so please let me know if this issue persists!

The Happening Space in the top-left, in front of the Daisy mirror, provides you with a free Barter Box (or 10 coins if your inventory is full). While making such a rare item so easily available may seem frightening, it's actually part of the atmosphere of the board. While pleasant from the outside, Battle Minigames are actually quite common, so players will definitely be at each other's throats here! It's a bit like a nod to Daisy's feisty personality.

The top petal, blocked by a Skeleton Gate, hosts two different events. The Happening Spaces right in front of Petey Piranha will activate a unique custom event (Pay Coins to Make Lose Stars or Coins, available to download). If you land here, you'll pay Petey Piranha 50 coins and he'll subtract 1 Star from each of your opponents, or 15 coins if they don't have a Star - quite the sabotaging tool! However, if you don't have enough coins, he'll shoo you away. The outer two Happening Spaces cause a Piranha Plant to bite you, making you lose between 4 and 13 coins.

The final Happening Space at the bottom petal, just next to the bank, warps you to the Super Mario Land-styled picnic mat. You'll find a free Star in the picnic basket!

That about wraps it up for Daisy's Garden. It's nice to see it come full circle from the pre-PP64 days to the era of custom events! Many thanks to Airsola for much of the custom event code! If you find any issues, do not hesitate to let me know! Again, many thanks!

NOTE: The issue involving the Petey Piranha event crashing the game when no opponents have Stars has been resolved.

EDIT (v2.1):
-"Sneeze Warp" event now includes ? fade-out transitions, voice, and dizzy animation, and properly sets the player to Happening Space (green) status. Hidden Block spawn upon warp is also prevented. Hidden Block fix is implemented, and also prevents a second player landing on the warped-to space from attaining green status as opposed to blue. (Credit to Airsola for the Hidden Block fix code!) However, there is still a small chance of obtaining 2 Hidden Blocks from one space.
-"Daisy Mirror" event now includes happy voice and animation.
-"Petey Piranha" event now includes ? fade-out transitions and cry voices from all opponents.
-"Piranha Plant" event now includes ? fade-out transitions, dizzy animation, and voice.
-"Picnic" event now includes ? fade-out transitions, and "Picnic Basket" event now includes "Star Get" voice and animation.
-Reverse fixes: reversing into Start or at the start of the "Picnic" event path should prevent being caught into an infinite loop. (Credit to Airsola for the reverse fix code!)

EDIT (v2.2):
-"Sneeze Warp": Bottom-most event has altered destination space to prevent glitching back to Start. After the warp, the player will now face the original Happening Space.
-"Daisy Mirror": Players now face the mirror during the event.
-"Petey Piranha": Players now face Petey Piranha during the event.
-"Picnic": Players now cheer after warping and face the screen. The picnic mat is now on a separate chain from the rest of the board and cannot be reversed into.
-"Picnic Basket": Players now face the screen during the "Star Get" animation, and now includes "Star Get" music. Players with 99 Stars will no longer receive a Star from the event.

EDIT (v2.3):
-Fixed a reverse issue.

EDIT (v2.4):
-Optimised code for all events.
-"Daisy Mirror": Should no longer cause purported crash issue.
-"Sneeze Warp": Now displaces the player after warp to avoid clipping with players already on the space.
-"Picnic Basket": Now uses "Star Get" player voice clips.

EDIT (v2.5):
-"Sneeze Warp": No longer causes crash on Everdrive. (Credit to Airsola for the code fix and Maciaga for Everdrive testing!)

EDIT (v2.6):
-Optimised code for some events.
Posted by: MarioComix March 07, 2020

Rating: **** by 1 members.

Comments (4)

shrewstur
Shy Guy

View Profile
July 09, 2020
I really like the layout of the board. I like how it has one main path, and how the petals act as detours.

There's a glitch where, if you take a skeleton key path but canot open the gate, it will redirect you to the beginning of the map. You then get stuck in an infinite loop at the starting space, and cannot make progress. When passing the starting space, you also have the option to trap yourself into this loop.

When I played this board with a friend, the NPCs walked into this trap. The bowser shuffle then activated, trapping my friend inside. We had a good laugh, but couldn't play after that.

Felt like Koopa Bank was very sparse. There wasn't much incentive to go into the petal that has the bank, especially because the bank charge comes after most of the picnic warp spaces. A person wouldn't enter the petal unless they knew they could land on a warp, which lets you avoid the bank entirely.

I really liked the free barter box happening. It's a really fun item that has lots of interplay against other items like plunder chest. Another person mentioned how it could be a question that determines your item. That would be a fun improvement.

Thank you for making this map. :D It's a nice complement to the Waluigi Stage.
Spongyoshi
Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
PP64 Savant
Penguin

It's Show Time!

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020
Fun and simple board although might be a bit too chaotic for it's own good at times. The abundance of battles, barter box and being able to get a free star made it pretty hectic at the end. Still was pretty fun otherwise, even if I'd tone down some events personally
MPS64
Shy Guy

View Profile
May 11, 2020
I don't like the picnic event. The fact that you can get a star isn't fun for anyone except the lucky person. Maybe make it less op by offering coins or a free item instead? Also for the daisy mirror, maybe have some questions to determine your item instead of giving the player a free barter box? You're board is ok, but some events only drag down the quality.
charmyte
Shy Guy

View Profile
July 26, 2019
I tried your board!

There is certainly a lot of promise here; you were not lying about the frequency of battle minigames! I like the idea of a wheel-and-spoke design to the board - while in my game it led to a pretty low-scoring board, I chalk that up more to my fault than the design!

However, the Petey Piranha event crashed the entire emulator (1964). At that point no one had gotten any stars yet, so maybe the issue was with an overflow from trying to decrement from zero? Moreover, especially on low-scoring matches, the intended effect seems a bit drastic. While I'm in no position to make you change your own board, if it was an encounter event with a steep (100 coin?) price it may fit a little better, but I know PP64 has its limitations!

All in all though, a lot of promise with this! Did enjoy my round.

Return to Downloads