Author Topic: Mario Party 5  (Read 6371 times)

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
Mario Party 5
« on: July 18, 2015 »
So yeah, talk about Mario Party 5 here.

I spent a lot of time into this entry of the Mario Party series. I thought it was pretty good and before I registered here it was actually my favorite Mario Party game.

I thought the boards were all good(Favorite being Future Dream) and the minigames were standard, except for the sudden increase in button mashing minigames. Back then, I was not good at mashing a button. I always barely won in a minigame literally called Button Mashers.(GREAT title for a minigame, huh?) But it also had Hotel Goomba, that minigame where you direct the chain chomp(forgot name), and that minigame where you catch Ice Cream falling from the sky(also forgot name).

What do you think of the game? Good or bad?
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline SputnicK

• Smash/Halo 3
  • *Magikarp used splash!*
Re: Mario Party 5
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015 »
Is it just me or is this game the most skill-based game of the series? The reason I say so is because:

1) The maps are less luck-based/more linear than many of the others in the series
2) The minigames are mostly skill-based
3) The capsules are nerfed and (usually) require skill to use
4) You have more control over the die then others in the series

That's just my opinion.

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015 »
Is it just me or is this game the most skill-based game of the series? The reason I say so is because:

1) The maps are less luck-based/more linear than many of the others in the series

That's just my opinion.

If it's the most skill based doesn't that mean less chance time bs?  :P

Also, about 4, you have more control over the die in 1 and 2, because it actually goes in order(1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10) so if you were skilled enough you could get any roll you wanted in those games.
Ancient trash.

Offline Some Edgy Wii U Fan

• :D
  • We really need more active users
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015 »
This one doesn't look too bad, I guess.
Meh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline SirYoshi211

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015 »
I never liked Mario Party 5 much. Honestly my least favorite Gamecube Mario Party and around 4th least favorite overall. While I liked a good number of the mini-games such as Pushy Penguins and Hotel Goomba, the boards weren't that interesting to me. They felt a little more linear compared to boards in other Mario Parties, Sweet Dream and Toy Dream were fun though. The thing that bothered me most was the capsules, the lack of being able to purchase them was a problem. I didn't mind paying coins to use them on yourself. I felt Mario Parties 6 and 7 improved them and those two games made me like the orb system.

I did like the Bonus mode and Super Duel modes, they were cool. Story mode was nice as well though extremely frustrating on hard difficulty to unlock expert thanks to the large amount of button mashing mini-games. I didn't like the increase in button mashing mini-games though there is some very good mini-games.
"Darn, I love the cold. I mean, I just plain love it!"- Sir Weston, Luigi's Mansion

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015 »
For the board mode,it's my least favorite one! The orbs are confusing and some are overpowered and it's not as good as MP6 and MP7 where you can put better traps!
But for the minigame mode and minigames itself,it's really good! The minigames kinda makes the game since it think it has one of the best of thes series!
But still,maybe my least favorite with MP4.

Offline HerbertMcHoover

• The Elephant with a Drum
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015 »

That's just my opinion.
Oh, no doubt.

Despite this, I enjoy MP5. This is my favorite Mario Party since it was my first. The boards were pretty bad, but the graphics were a huge step up from Mario Party 4.

The capsules were just an early phase of the most successful item system in the game and they would work it all out by next game.

The minigames here are second to none. The 4-Player Minigames especially were well-done. They had quality and quantity, something that most Mario Party games lacked (so many Mic minigames later on in GCN era!)

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016 »
I don't agree with those points.

1. I don't think they are any less luck based than boards from MP6 and the like, but I can say that MP5 has some of the most boring boards in the series.
2. Seem like typical MP minigames to me.
3. Disagree. The introduction of the orb system in MP6 is much more skill based. There you can actually set traps and use items on yourself without having to pay. >.> You plan things in MP6, but in MP5, it all just feels random. No Item Shops is a big issue in MP5.
4. I don't know how MP5 has more control when MP6 introduced the Sluggish Shroom. :P

Offline ImpaDude

• ImpaDude
  • Hyrule Hero, and an Enemy Executer
  • us 
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016 »
I recently got the game to experience it myself. I had my friend over to try it, and it was actually a lot of fun. I hate the Koopa Bank space though, so does my friend XD.

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016 »
You know, I actually played MP5 yesterday as a test session on my PC to see how it would run. It ran good, and then I started a game on Sweet Dream. I used to have this strategy that I would always do when I played it years back. I would wait until everyone else rolled, and then I would roll myself, to get first. So I used it, and it got me first, surprisingly. The star was placed really close to the start, so it basically became a race and a competition of who could get enough coins to buy it. On the second turn, I had enough coins and was ~3 spaces behind the star. However, the CPU gets a happening space and is moved to 1 space in front of me. Okay, fine, he doesn't have enough coins. And then of course, there's a battle minigame, and its luck based. The CPU(I forgot what the name of the game was) got 3 triple 7's, and got enough coins to buy the star, while I had not enough anymore.

This is gonna even out all of those lucky games I had when I was younger didn't it? :P

I might like Mario Party 5 just because I played it a lot when I was younger, but there are some enjoyable things about it. The minigames vary, but there are a few good ones and skill based ones. The boards, I didn't really have a problem with any of them and I don't think I hate any of them, except for maybe Undersea Dream. Super Duel mode was cool, I got to shoot the crap out of the CPU and win :P . But even with all that, Bonus mode was probably one of my favorites. There was this board/card game, where you move around on a board, and flip cards to reveal more pathways. There are stars(or hidden ztars) around, and you have to get the most stars. There are also items, which you can use to screw your opponents, or give yourself an advantage. Then, ? mark spaces. These trigger a random event. Then, idk if there was a card specific to it but there's Boo, which can steal stars from other players.

MP5 might not be enjoyable to others, but I do and I'll remember it.
Ancient trash.

Offline stone_cold_julia

• Wajulia
  • I use Reddit a lot more than this.
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016 »
I'm playing MP5 now, but I don't like it as much as MP6. I like that they added Boo though.
Find me on Reddit: JuliaTheInsaneKid
There's nothing interesting here anymore, which is why I haven't posted here in so long.

Offline PartyStar

• SO HYPED FOR SUPER MARIO PARTY
  • us 
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016 »
Mario Party 5 was a great addition to the series for me. It was one of the only Mario Parties I played on gamecube besides 7. (though only because I didn't have 4 or 6 :P) I really like it, but it seemed very luck based, especially the item system. Other than that this game is very good, I especially like the little story with the dreams. I just thought overall it was very creative.  :)
*NEW 2018* Mario Party: Elimination! http://www.mariopartylegacy.com/forum/index.php?topic=16425.msg314584;topicseen#msg314584
10 spots open, first come first serve! :)

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016 »
Mario Party 5 is lackluster as anything. The Minigames are great, but the boards are BOOOOOOORING. I don't know how anyone can do a 50 turn game on Mario Party 5... I would literally fall asleep.

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016 »
Mario Party 5 is lackluster as anything. The Minigames are great, but the boards are BOOOOOOORING. I don't know how anyone can do a 50 turn game on Mario Party 5... I would literally fall asleep.

^This in a nutshell, but I do like the story mode structure where u have to beat the koopa kid's in order to progress it kinda reminds me of Mario Party 3 story mode. Also this was the game that DK lost his role as a playable character which also subtract points for this game...

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016 »

^This in a nutshell, but I do like the story mode structure where u have to beat the koopa kid's in order to progress it kinda reminds me of Mario Party 3 story mode. Also this was the game that DK lost his role as a playable character which also subtract points for this game...
Donkey Kong was still playable in Mario Party 5. It's just restricted to Super Duel Mode. DK lost playable status completely from Mario Party 6.