Author Topic: Mario Party 5 - Klamar  (Read 1871 times)

Offline GamingStar302

• Party Star
  • us 
Mario Party 5 - Klamar
« on: October 29, 2016 »
I had an interesting debate while playing some Mario Party 5 with my family this evening. As a kid, I always thought 'Klamar', the options star, was outfitted with a permanent frown as his face. My brother pointed out today that he was pretty sure it was just a mustache, and we proceeded to discuss the topic for the next five minutes, while looking at him from different angles and analyzing his vocabulary. While I was reluctant to give up the viewpoint I've had for nearly a decade, I eventually had to admit it probably was a mustache.

My brother argued that he thought it was a mustache because when clicking on him he said things like "What would you like to take a gander at?" or "Let's ogle at the records." As for more concrete evidence, I noticed later that none of the other stars' mouths were shown, so it probably was a mustache.

Has anyone else ever thought it was his mouth shown, or am I just seeing things and it's pretty much universally agreed to be a mustache? I've attached an image so we can "take a gander".

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
Re: Mario Party 5 - Klamar
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016 »
I don't know if you know this, but those Stars are from Paper Mario. They are called Star Spirits.

Kalmar is not frowning, it's a mustache. I'll link you to his sprites on Paper Mario 64.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo_64/pm/sheet/10459/

Even his Mario Party 5 artwork show it's a mustache.

Spoiler: Kalmar (click to show/hide)

Offline SirYoshi211

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016 »
I used to believe Kalmar's mustache was his mouth when I was younger. Playing Paper Mario, the frown seemed to fit his dialogue. I never really saw his official artwork from Mario Party 5 so I just had his in game appearances from both Paper Mario and Mario Party 5 to go by. It's very clearly a mustache to me there. I always see it as a mustache now. I like the design in Paper Mario more, it is less simple.
"Darn, I love the cold. I mean, I just plain love it!"- Sir Weston, Luigi's Mansion

Offline GamingStar302

• Party Star
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016 »
Thanks for the input guys - I was fairly certain it wasn't a mustache by the end of our conversation, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one fooled by it as a kid. Me and my brother have a knack for pointing out the smallest details in games we play, whether it be something buried way in the background or a little detail in character design like this.