Author Topic: Paper Mario: Sticker Star  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Don't make me beg

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015 »
Yeah, I mean, I can see why people might be disappointed. But if you just pick it up with an open mind and no hype whatsoever it's actually pretty good. Looks good, reminds me of SPM, and is pretty decent besides AAAAAA NO REASON TO BATTLE.

And I dunno about you guys but I totally squeed when I saw that Luigi in the Goomba Fort. :P
I'm crossing you in style

Offline BossBlitz

• Yummy !
  • Tμс★Squad
  • us 
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015 »

And I dunno about you guys but I totally squeed when I saw that Luigi in the Goomba Fort. :P
I'm pretty sure that was Nintendo was aiming for that reaction istead of an outburst of complaints about Luigi being slapped in the background without thought.

:ssb4kirby: :ssb4metaknight: :ssb4villager:

Offline Baby Luigi

• Wish I was playable in Mario Party
  • Number Not One
  • us 
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015 »
Seems like it's a case of 'people's expectations are the only problem' to me. :P
I think that mostly comes from the title of "Paper Mario". :P
Exactly. That's the only reason it gets hate. It's a great game, just not a true Paper Mario game.

The same problem people had with Federation Force.

It kinda irks me that they prefer to use an IP not related to this instead of making an original, thus intending to piggyback the success of a franchise that should have nothing to do with the game.

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015 »
It's clearly related to Paper Mario, though. Super Paper Mario lacked Paper Mario's original gameplay, turning it into a (mostly) platformer, and managed to be a good game. They tried the same thing with Sticker Star. Just with a whole lot less success.

Offline Baby Luigi

• Wish I was playable in Mario Party
  • Number Not One
  • us 
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015 »
Probably. Though I don't think the battle system is executed well at all. I can kinda see what they're trying to do, but they sorta failed in that aspect.

• Moon River
  • Wider than a mile
  • us 
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015 »
Yeah battles are lame as hell and I just avoid them for the most part. Other than that, though, I REALLY like Sticker Star so far. Though that's probably because I bought it without any before-hand expectations besides 'a lot of people are disappointed'. Seems like Nintendo screwed up with their marketing for it. :P

Which is kind of a shame. I feel if not for all these false expectations Sticker Star could've been received a whole lot better. I like the humor and the level design and pretty much everything about it except the battles. :P