Author Topic: Mario Party 8  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Some Edgy Wii U Fan

• :D
  • We really need more active users
  • us 
Mario Party 8
« on: July 29, 2015 »
Alright, let's talk about this one.

This one is my personal least favorite, due to the fact that it has some extremely dull boards, mediocre graphics that look worse than GCN Mario Parties, and too many gimmicky mini games (atleast in my opinions.)

Despite that though,  I still managed to have somewhat fun with the game, since it's still fun with friends and that there were an ok amount of minigames that were fun too.

I still don't really like this one, but I'm atleast willing to play it if I have too. What's your thoughts on this one?

(Also, I just realized that Mario Party 6 doesn't have a thread yet. Uh, someone give that game a thread please?)
Meh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
Re: Mario Party 8
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015 »
Mario Party 8 graphics are mediocre because really the game wasn't meant to be on a Wii. Hell, the debug menu is based on the Gamecube controller. I think that they did a bad execution there because they knew the GC was dying out therefore they slapped MP8 on the Wii.

The motion controls will make you want to kill someone. I never had a problem with the infamous "Flip the Chimp" but I understood how the game's motion controls can become unresponsive. Also, there are so many taken from MP6 and MP7 files that they never deleted so its in the game's memory. We can just say that this game was not meant for the Wii.

The Board Maps are indeed dull and I can't stand them... Bowser's Orbit w/e the hell sucks so much ass as well! I'll give props by saying King Boo's board map was the one that had me planning and I felt was the most unique in that it requires strategy. Goomba's board map was just RIDICULOUSLY long and free stars will kill anyone's mood. You need not to win minigames and you can have around 10 stars once again free of cost. Overall each board map is very boring and competes with MP1 for the lackluster board maps (At least MP1 had a reason though #Noshade).

The candies ANNOYED THE F*** out of me! There were only a few and I found myself always buying Thrice or Slowgo. All of the other candies I don't mind but it renders useless and then the board maps make the cheap items broken. CashZap Candy was ridiculous in how anyone can get it randomly. They needed an over-abundance of items for the mechanic they were employing. MP7 was alright with the amount of orbs b/c of the mechanical basis of Orbs but the Candies involved another mechanical basis therefore needing more candies.

Story mode... let's not even talk about how dubious it is...

The mini-games, some were fun, some were torturous, and others were just "Get it over with". I like how the did the endings and beginnings to make it a bit more interactively approached but the minigames weren't necessarily my favorite either. I DID NOT LIKE how the Duel Minigames contained about 2/3'ths 4 player and Battle minigames. I just found that haphazardly lazy (Now I don't mind it if it was split but you compare the number of ACTUAL Duel Minigames to the total to get the percentage and then come back to me with a conclusion). The gimmicks in the minigames (Mostly carnival attired) fitted the theme but I found them to be bleh as well...

Spaces arrangement were so boring... always finding yourself landing on a Blue Space. DK Space / Bowser Space were minimalistic and really didn't help the person who landed on it unless its at a right position or if you were playing a certain stage. 9 times out of 10 you find yourself helping someone else when you land on the spaces. Only Board Map that I found cool with this is the King Boo one.

Choose another Mario Party to play basically, this s*** will have you put on the "Really b****" face!

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015 »
To sum up Dark Boo's post, MP8 sucks and I agree with that.

Like, I just played it once and it was enough, never playing again. It's the game that made me indifferent about the series.

Offline Some Edgy Wii U Fan

• :D
  • We really need more active users
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015 »
Yeah, I can't say I disagree with you guys on how 8 sucked.

But on the plus side, at least we got DS the same year. :D
Meh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline HerbertMcHoover

• The Elephant with a Drum
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015 »
I enjoyed it, but Party Mode got incredibly tiresome after two turns. The turns felt long, boring and it didn't feel like much was going on around the board like in the GCN-era Mario Parties. I guess that is because there was less strategy with the candies than there were with the orbs (where to put them on the spaces, when to use it or set someone up).

The candies in general were disappointing. The graphics and changes in the character, like to 8-bit, were phenomenal, but it was just lacking. There were what? 10? 12? candies. There should have been closer to twenty with more variety, retaining most of the Mario Party 7 orbs.

Offline DiddyKongDerp

• That guy over there
  • History Jokes: The Oldest Jokes in the Book
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015 »
I actually enjoyed the game...Idk why, but I actually did like it.
Graphics, I could care less about,and I can agree,the boards were dull.
Regarding the motion controls however, I didn't have trouble with it, so I did enjoy most of the minigames. However, regarding the candies...I once again could care less about it. As the N64 games had Normal Items, and the GCN games had orbs. (Idk about MP4 though...) So it's understandable the Wii was trying to have a new item system.
Overall, I can agree MP8 isn't the BEST MP game, but imo, it's my 3rd favorite xP

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015 »
I'll be honest, I actually enjoyed this game. I beat story mode, unlocked all sorts of stuff, and unlocked all the minigames. I used to not understand why people just hated it so much. But now, I can kinda understand why. I will admit that 8 was not the best of the MP series, but to me at least it's a mediocre entry. Everyone complains about the graphics. Okay, but does good graphics make a good game? That's like saying the original Super Mario Bros. is s***ty because it's 8bit. The candy items really didn't bother me at all because it was basically the same thing as the orbs. I'll also admit that the story was kinda stupid, but I didn't care.

please don't hurt me
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline SputnicK

• Smash/Halo 3
  • *Magikarp used splash!*
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015 »
I have played alot of MP8, and the more I play it the more I agree the game is awful. The stages are hit-and-miss, the candies are too abundant, the dice is messed up, the bonus stars aren't right, the graphics are AWFUL, and the skill is gone. Literally a port of a gamecube game with poor wii controls slapped on.

Despite all this I still had fun playing it, if only because I'll play any game with Mario Party on the title.

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015 »
I've played all the Mario Party games with my sister and this one is the game my sister had the less fun with  :P
Seriously,there is a lot of bad minigame there! And the better minigames are the duel minigames which is stupid!
This game is here to make you remember WHY the Mario Party series had a long break = runing out of inspiration
DK/Bowser space are lazy done,candies are lazy version of orbs,Boards are mostly inspired by older boards,Minigames aren't that inspired either.
I think the most positive thing in this game is MC Ballyhoo..  :(

Offline Accj21

• Teamwork makes the meme work
  • Purple is my new favorite color
  • us 
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015 »
I am the only person in the world who loves this game. It's actually my favorite Mario Party. Yes, some of the minigames are terrible, <coughflipthechimpcough> but the boards are the best in the series, and MC Ballyhoo is a great host. Complain all you want, but that's my opinion. Deal with it.

Offline Croconaw

• ca 
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015 »
I'd say this is a pretty decent Mario Party game. Not the one I would recommend, but it's pretty good and the best out of the ones playable with Wii Remotes.

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016 »
You know, looking back at 8, I dunno what to think of it anymore. When I got the game, I liked it, and played it a lot. But, that was years ago. Now, sometimes the motion controls are hit or miss(Maybe it would've been better without them *shrug*) and sometimes I feel like the game didn't really do anything to separate it from the previous games, like for example, 6 had the day/night system, and 4 had a mega/mini mushroom system. In 8, I feel like a lot of ideas from previous games were reused, in terms of boards and some minigames.
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016 »
You pretty much said why I don't like that Mario Party much.
After I replayed all the Mario Party games, this game feels so unoriginal and blend.
Plus, I find the minigames pretty meh.

Offline Slorbutte

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016 »
It was revolutionary! I loved the wii remote, and the graphics were really good.

Offline Ascaris

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016 »
I must confess, Mario Party 8 was truly innovative with its motion controls! This is a fad that shall never die as long as I, Ascaris, rally for its inclusion!