Author Topic: Mario Party 5  (Read 6367 times)

Offline Colyton

• ca 
Re: Mario Party 5
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016 »
Mario Party 5 is lackluster as anything. The Minigames are great, but the boards are BOOOOOOORING. I don't know how anyone can do a 50 turn game on Mario Party 5... I would literally fall asleep.
Yep, definitely. When I bought MP5, I only played it like once or twice and went back to MP6 and 7. I do not dislike MP5, but it's definitely in my least favorite.

Offline Timmy

• ~Yo-YO, let's GO! PSI Prodigy!~
  • ca 
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016 »
Mario Party 5 is lackluster as anything. The Minigames are great, but the boards are BOOOOOOORING. I don't know how anyone can do a 50 turn game on Mario Party 5... I would literally fall asleep.
Yep, definitely. When I bought MP5, I only played it like once or twice and went back to MP6 and 7. I do not dislike MP5, but it's definitely in my least favorite.
The Party Mode is the biggest turn-off; the fact that about half the capsules don't even help you (Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro, etc.) and that you literally have no control over what item you get doesn't make me want to play Party Mode. All of the boards feel incredibly generic too.

Also like about 1/3 of the Duel Mini-Games have SOME luck factor (Pound Peril, Bound of Music, Piece Out, Get a Rope, etc.) and this is the first Mario Party that lets you wager a Star on the line... And it makes the Koopa Kid Duels in Story Mode just a lot more tedious.

Offline Stray Dawg

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016 »
I only find MP5's boards boring in comparison to 6 & 7. To focus on the new capsule system Nintendo/Hudson sorta left events outta the boards themselves. This does make them less individual activity-wise but once a few capsules are chucked far more will occur than in any of the previous 4 games. 6 & 7 certainly trump it with the boards having lotsa their own quirks on top of the orbs (which also vary from board to board).

A couple of rather dull events- the rocket rides and rocket-go-round in the Future Dream. They're snooze-inducing for whoever is using them, let alone everyone else (the Manta in Underwater Dream is also snail-paced).

I'd say MP5 has both the best and worst library of mini-games. Like someone said above, the 4-player category is wicked with 'Chomp Romp', 'Coney Island', 'Dinger Derby', 'Hotel Goomba', 'Hydrostars', 'Leaf Leap' and 'Pushy Penguins' all candidates for my all-time top 10 (and 'PP' is probably my number 1... silly pun, yeah). On the other hand mosta the Duel mini-games are rotten- either too short, too luck-based or too button-bashy.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016 by Stray Dawg »

Offline stone_cold_julia

• Wajulia
  • I use Reddit a lot more than this.
  • us 
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016 »
MP5 is actually my least favorite for the GameCube. I don't hate it though. I like that they added Boo, Toad, and the Koopa Kid, (They're so cute!) but I REALLY suck at the minigames. MP6 for life.
Find me on Reddit: JuliaTheInsaneKid
There's nothing interesting here anymore, which is why I haven't posted here in so long.