Daisy's Garden v3

Daisy's Garden v3 (Vanilla).json

Daisy's Garden v3 (Chocolate).json1.23MB
Filesize: 1.15MB  Views: (4397)  Downloads (1943)  
Description: "Budding blooms and pesky pests." With Waluigi bringing the party to the island, so too does Daisy bring the party to her garden!

The main gimmick of this board is the layout, shaped like a flower. As it's easy to loop around the board on the main path, take advantage of the various "petals", each with their own benefits. Some are filled with items, some have more Happening Spaces, one has Boo, and one has Chance Time. Notably, while the board looks rather pleasant, Battle Minigames are actually quite common, so players will definitely be at each other's throats here! It's a bit like a nod to Daisy's feisty personality.

Speaking of events, custom events are totally at play here! There are 6 Happening Spaces near the sunflowers that produce so much pollen that they cause you to sneeze so hard that you get sent flying to another space! Take note that each instance of this event sends you in front of a potential Star Space...

The Happening Space in the top-left, in front of the Daisy mirror, will ask you a personality quiz with three questions. Depending on how you answer, you can get coins, get an item, or warp another player to your space!

The top petal, blocked by a Skeleton Gate, hosts two different events. The Happening Spaces right in front of Petey Piranha will activate a unique custom event (Pay Coins to Make Lose Stars or Coins, available to download). If you land here, you'll pay Petey Piranha 60 coins and he'll subtract 1 Star from each of your opponents, or 20 coins if they don't have a Star - quite the sabotaging tool! However, if you don't have enough coins, he'll shoo you away. The outer two Happening Spaces cause a Piranha Plant to bite you, making you lose more coins the higher the turn number.

The final Happening Space at the bottom petal, just next to the bank, warps you to the Super Mario Land-styled picnic mat. Here, Flutter will thank you for joining him at his picnic, and will give you a mushroom-themed item or even a Star!

Additionally, there are two versions of the board: Vanilla and Chocolate. The Vanilla version has all the standard events whereas the Chocolate version incorporates two extra features: the Last 5 Turns Event and a custom Bonus Star. The Last 5 Turns event activates at the end of the 6th last turn and will provide last-place with a gift: an item, coins, or, if players aren't tied for last, a miracle. The miracle will trigger one of the following new rules:
  • Blue Space Ruleset: When 4th place lands on a Blue Space, a Hidden Block is guaranteed to appear.
  • Red Space Ruleset: Landing on a Red Space now has a chance to become a Bowser, Battle, Chance Time, or Game Guy Space.
  • Koopa Bank Ruleset: When passing a Bank Space, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place players must pay extra coins.
  • Bonus Star Boost: A random one of the last place player's Bonus Stars is boosted each turn: 7 for Minigame Star, 10 for Coin Star, and 1 for Happening/Battle Star.
  • Snifit Benefit: The last place player will receive a coin bonus each turn.

Additionally, the custom Bonus Star is the Battle Star, awarded to whoever lands on the most Battle Spaces. Both of these Chocolate features can be toggled off by setting their respective parameter in the Last 5 Turns Event to "false". Additionally, there's the Rules of the Board event that explains some of the board mechanics on the 1st turn. If all players are veterans, the parameter "ActivateRules" can be set to "false" (don't fret if you forget, though, you can just spam A to get through it anyway).

That about wraps it up for Daisy's Garden. It's nice to see it come full circle from the pre-PP64 days to the era of custom events! The board should be Everdrive-compatible. I'd also like to give thanks to Airsola, Rain, and Spongyoshi for assisting in buggy code and providing the coding basis for many of the custom events, in particular a special shoutout to Rain for sharing his "GetRand" function and Spongyoshi for creating the original Last 5 Turns Event. Finally, I'd like to thank FixedFun for sharing his high-resolution art assets of the item shop and Koopa bank. Thanks are also in order to everyone who has given feedback on the board and helped to improve it! If you find any issues, do not hesitate to let me know! Many thanks!

NOTE: The issue involving the Petey Piranha event crashing the game when no opponents have Stars has been resolved.

Edit Log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Numbers for Tryhards:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Posted by: MarioComix February 21, 2021

Rating: ***** by 1 members.

Comments (4)

shrewstur
Shy Guy

View Profile
July 09, 2020
I really like the layout of the board. I like how it has one main path, and how the petals act as detours.

There's a glitch where, if you take a skeleton key path but canot open the gate, it will redirect you to the beginning of the map. You then get stuck in an infinite loop at the starting space, and cannot make progress. When passing the starting space, you also have the option to trap yourself into this loop.

When I played this board with a friend, the NPCs walked into this trap. The bowser shuffle then activated, trapping my friend inside. We had a good laugh, but couldn't play after that.

Felt like Koopa Bank was very sparse. There wasn't much incentive to go into the petal that has the bank, especially because the bank charge comes after most of the picnic warp spaces. A person wouldn't enter the petal unless they knew they could land on a warp, which lets you avoid the bank entirely.

I really liked the free barter box happening. It's a really fun item that has lots of interplay against other items like plunder chest. Another person mentioned how it could be a question that determines your item. That would be a fun improvement.

Thank you for making this map. :D It's a nice complement to the Waluigi Stage.
Spongyoshi
Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
PP64 Savant
Penguin

It's Show Time!

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020
Fun and simple board although might be a bit too chaotic for it's own good at times. The abundance of battles, barter box and being able to get a free star made it pretty hectic at the end. Still was pretty fun otherwise, even if I'd tone down some events personally
MPS64
Shy Guy

View Profile
May 11, 2020
I don't like the picnic event. The fact that you can get a star isn't fun for anyone except the lucky person. Maybe make it less op by offering coins or a free item instead? Also for the daisy mirror, maybe have some questions to determine your item instead of giving the player a free barter box? You're board is ok, but some events only drag down the quality.
charmyte
Shy Guy

View Profile
July 26, 2019
I tried your board!

There is certainly a lot of promise here; you were not lying about the frequency of battle minigames! I like the idea of a wheel-and-spoke design to the board - while in my game it led to a pretty low-scoring board, I chalk that up more to my fault than the design!

However, the Petey Piranha event crashed the entire emulator (1964). At that point no one had gotten any stars yet, so maybe the issue was with an overflow from trying to decrement from zero? Moreover, especially on low-scoring matches, the intended effect seems a bit drastic. While I'm in no position to make you change your own board, if it was an encounter event with a steep (100 coin?) price it may fit a little better, but I know PP64 has its limitations!

All in all though, a lot of promise with this! Did enjoy my round.

Return to Downloads