Mario Tennis Open review

This is my review for Mario Tennis Open. :)  If you don't want to know any spoilers, don't read. Simple.

I didn't think I'd be very good at tennis, but it turns out I've only lost one game (to an ace computer :p). I never thought I'd have Boo as my main character, but he is surprisingly good. He never trips up, so is therefore the most reliable character; He is especially perfect for Ink Showdown. I used Boo to play 6 Wi-fi matches and won the first three matches 7-0. I then played a very good person and he had a 2-0 lead on me, but somehow I came back and beat him 7-2 lol.

I also use Mii's more than I thought I would. I felt spoiled from the large choice of costumes. There's even a colour changing star costume, which is neat if you love all the colours of the rainbow. I created a Rosalina Mii and an account for her. Her costume was light blue and a she had a Luma Racquet (This would be close to the real thing because Rosalina would have a sea-green racquet with a grand-star logo. The Mii actually looks like her, (but unfortunately, playing as the Mii will never be quite the same). The absence of Rosalina is extremely disappointing, especially when I'm playing tennis in her observatory!

The Tournaments are exciting, but they get a bit boring after a while because you are against the same characters on the same courts over and over again. I would find it nice to have an (optional) spectate feature where you can watch the other computers play while taking a break from the game yourself. The final few cups are very challenging, but this is good because it's nice to have a challenge. I've noticed that the unlockable characters never appear in any tournaments, which is disappointing because it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Having said that, the graphics are still brilliant and I love the 3D.

Special games are fun, and you're required to play them if you want to buy the costumes. They are challenging, some more so than others. Ring shot is pretty easy and if you've played Mario Tennis 64, you'll know what it's like. Super Mario Tennis is also fun, I did find this pretty difficult, especially the hard difficulty because the time limit is very short. Playing different games in one is genius.  Galaxy Rally was extremely hard to begin with, but once I got the hang of it, I was playing like a pro. Patience is the key to this game; I charge up shots for the distant panels and use drop shots for all the closer panels. Playing a Luma against another Luma another neat little feature because you're playing with two different colour Luma's in one game. Ink Showdown is my way of earning easy money because you unlock a costume the first time you get a perfect score, and as a bonus, you can get up to 2000 coins. Using Boo is very handy on this game because he doesn't trip up and so doesn't lose any power in any of his shots. If Bowser gets too close, I use a Lob shot to hit the ball over him. Overall, I love the special games, but it would have been nicer if there was one more game to keep you entertained, considering you're going to be playing these games for a long time to buy all the costumes.

Wi-fi is good, but wasn't as superb as I hoped for. You can play with your friends in an Exhibition match which seems fun but I haven't tried this yet. The Open Match allows you to choose two settinsg, Casual, Intense or Both. Casual you play a simple tiebreak match and Intense you play an intense two-game, one set match. It is limited though, and you can't select any more options. I was hoping for a 2v2 match but you can only play single player while online. I'm not entirely sure if you can select 2v2 or not, but from what I've seen, I don't think you can. The Multiplayer is excellent however because there is no lag, and it still feels like any other computer match, except you're playing against someone else.

Taking in everything into account, I give Mario Tennis Open an overall rating of 8/10.  It’s not the best game I’ve played, but it’s still very good. It takes advantage of all the 3DS’ best features. The 3D effect is fabulous, the graphics are great and it’s a great game to play with friends and family. It’s a perfect addition to any Mario game collection.

Toblet said:
Wii U Enthusiast1875 said:
Great Review Toblet.

Polar said:
That was a great review Toblet! Really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks! I was writing a comment on the Mario Tennis Open topic about what Mario Tennis was like and it somehow turned into a review. :p

Sometimes you just can't help but write a review! :p It seems like a review NPower would do. :p

Back