Author Topic: Rate Mario Party (1)!  (Read 7966 times)

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
Rate Mario Party (1)!
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
Since all everyone does is go straight to the number at the end of a review  ::), why don't we rate the games ourselves? First up, the original Mario Party!

7/10

At least where I stand now. I haven't played in a while, but the boards felt a bit lackluster and some of the mechanics in the game are still very basic. This is, of course, the score I give it having played all the other entries in the series.

Offline MiniM

• Goobus Tickler
Re: Rate Mario Party (1)!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
I give it an 8/10 purely for nostalgia factor. Honestly, I don't remember much about MP1.. haven't played in ages. I remember Mario's Rainbow Castle/Quite a few of the mini-games tho. I loved the one player Koopa shell mini-game/the bicycle Boo mini-game that gave me blisters :P.

ALSO, the original Platform Peril! Much better than the remake.

Offline Shaby

• I need to do something about my life! :P
  • Anime Time!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
7/10

PROS
Eight boards
Minigame Island
Cool unlockables

CONS
Somehow the boards feel small
Not too many characters to choose from

Sorry for not explaining, I just don't know how to express with the right words...

Offline OhMyToad

• Mario Party 9 yeah. ^^.
  • nl 
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
8,5/10

Mini games were awesome, although you could get a bruse( don't know if I spell it corrctly) on your hand.
6 characters, well it was the first one so I accept that.
Boards were awesome for the first game in my opinion.
Every board character themed. I loved that (:
End scene when you get to hear who's the superstar was awesome, like mp2.
Hmm, cons. maybe a lack of graphics. but hello it was on the nintendo 64. If they had made mp1 in 2012 the graphics would be so better.
So I don't judge on that. I wanted to give it a 9 but then I would be called an idiot i think. xd

Mario party 9.. Mario party 9... Mario party 9.. YEAH! =D

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
I'd rate it a 7/10. While they do have 8 boards and minigame island, some minigames are straight gimmes, and there aren't many characters to choose from. I also haven't played it much in the past few years.

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
7/10 (probably would of rated it with a lower score)

Pros:
Good board designs
basic/easy to understand
Mini-Games are fun
Great soundtrack

Cons:
Too luck-based, no way to decide your destiny (this is actually a pretty major fault)
Some boards rely too much on luck
1vs3 Mini-Games were just stupidly unfair (ie: Bash'n'Cash, Crane Game)
Handcar Havoc

Offline Detective Koshi

• Dont Cry Because Its Over, Smile Cause It Happened
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
10/10!!!!! Great boards, BOO, all the charcters in this are fun to play with, koopa gives 10 coins, fun gimmicks, minigames are AMAZING! awesome host, minigame island, bank, able to get hidden stars every board is replayable!!!!!!

CONS: never heard of those in MP1!!!!!!! best game in MP series!

Be Who You Are, And Say What You Mean, because Those Who Matter Don't Mind, and Those Who Mind, Don't Matter-Dr.Seuss  :star: Live Your Life How You Want :bluestar:

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
I give a good 7.5/10, it was original and stuff, but MP2 and 3 were better.

Offline Detective Koshi

• Dont Cry Because Its Over, Smile Cause It Happened
  • us 
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
8,5/10

Mini games were awesome, although you could get a bruse( don't know if I spell it corrctly) on your hand.
6 characters, well it was the first one so I accept that.
Boards were awesome for the first game in my opinion.
Every board character themed. I loved that (:
End scene when you get to hear who's the superstar was awesome, like mp2.
Hmm, cons. maybe a lack of graphics. but hello it was on the nintendo 64. If they had made mp1 in 2012 the graphics would be so better.
So I don't judge on that. I wanted to give it a 9 but then I would be called an idiot i think. xd
   Dont feel bad about giving it a 9 I gave it a 10 haha

Be Who You Are, And Say What You Mean, because Those Who Matter Don't Mind, and Those Who Mind, Don't Matter-Dr.Seuss  :star: Live Your Life How You Want :bluestar:

Offline PrinceLandon

• Peach's BFF!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Compared to the other Mario Party titles, I'd give it a 7/10.

Being that it was the very first Mario Party, there are a few things with it that are a bit "wonky" like the coin distribution for minigame wins, thankfully fixed in Mario Party 2, and the stick rotating minigames that are a pain, literally. 

Aside from those annoyances, it's still an overall enjoyable experience. 

Offline Yoshi Party! (Formerly LP)

• No Avatar for Now
  • USE CANCEL CLOCK!
  • kr 
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
Graphics: It is great for a N64 game, but it isn't good as some excellent games.
Music: MP1 music beats all of the MP's music!
Boards: 8 boards are nice, but they could be bigger as in other MP games.
Minigames: Awesome, except for control stick rotating games...

I will give it 8 out of 10. I really like this game, but not as much as MP2- MP4.
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Offline Wiiboy4ever

• us 
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
I haven't played it in a while, but I guess give it like 3.5/10

I just didn't like it. I'm not one to enjoy games purely on "nostalgia".
Way too many games were coin minigames and pretty much every game had you "collecting coins out of a box or something"
Way too luck-based gameplay, Mario's Rainbow Castle was just walk to the end and risk getting a ztar. At least Castaway Bay was funner and different and wasn't purely luck based
And the AI was so unfair! They always get the stars no matter what. And then sometimes they did stupid decisions like going to a Bowser space when they could get the star in going in another direction or something.
Grapphics are meh (well it is 3D 64 so I guess I can't really say that)
Too much luck implemented, luck minigames, chance time, etc.
Gameplay in minigames was annoying, it took like 80 minutes to turn a character around in another direction without them sliding all over the stages. And the jumping. Oh god the jumping took like an hour to jump.
It's not all bad though. Some of the minigames were fun like Skateboard Scamper and Hexagon Heat (mushroom mixup, same thing) and platform peril.

I give it an 8/10 purely for nostalgia factor.
Are you serious?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:47:33 PM by Wiiboy4ever »
I like pancakes.

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »
Gameplay in minigames was annoying, it took like 80 minutes to turn a character around in another direction without them sliding all over the stages. And the jumping. Oh god the jumping took like an hour to jump.
You're definitely exaggerating. =P Jump/Moving is faster on later Mario Parties, but it was definitely not slow.

Offline Garrulous

• wakes up screaming from the american dream
  • Black and nerdy
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
Hmm. I'd say it's a 7. MP1 is not at all bad, but it does suffer from Early Installment Weirdness, such as there being only 6 characters and the boards being a bit lacking. Not to mention the rampant amount of luck-based minigames and the rotating stick games. Then again, it was the first in the series, and there are other things to like about the game, such as the amount of boards and the uniqueness of the gameplay that makes it fun in the first place.

Offline Wiiboy4ever

• us 
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »
You're definitely exaggerating. =P Jump/Moving is faster on later Mario Parties, but it was definitely not slow.
Well it was annoying enough for it to seem like it, to me anyways =P
I like pancakes.