Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 99043 times)

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
Re: Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
I would go for Cosmo Black.

@SZ: Normally it's software that gets bugs, not hardware (like consoles or handhelds), but I see what you're getting at.

Just rememember that if they slim the design, it will cost more at initial release since they have to reduce size without losing features. And besides, the technology is probably not completely tweaked for maximum space economy yet.

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »
I want the Aqua Blue one! :D

http://www.mariowiki.com/Nintendo_3DS

What's ur fave? Aqua Blue or Cosmo Black?
I'm definitely going for the Aqua Blue one.

I decided that I will not get the 3DS as soon as possible. I'm going to wait until they have the 2nd generation out (or the 3DS Lite) so that by then the bugs can be fixed, there will be a good amount of games available, and there will be a better lineup to look forward to. And I still think the 3DS design is pretty ugly. Hopefully the 2nd gen will have improved on the design like the DS Lite did for the DS.
You do bring up a point on this, SZ. And by ugly, do you mean the way the control pad and D-pad are placed?

Offline Yoshi1

« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Wow! I'm getting the Aqua Blue one too. It's a very nice colour. I wasn't keen on getting the 3DS but now I am. I have enough money to get it.

Offline HyperHalcyon

• This is intriguing indeed.
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
I'm going for the Aqua Blue.

Offline Chubzster

• Former MPL Staff
  • us 
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
I plan on getting the blue one, just like how I got my original blue DS. =P

Offline Thedude3445

« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2011, 12:04:38 AM »
I am camping out outside of Best Buy for this one. And I will try to get SSFIV3D if possible. That's the best launch title for a reason: It's the coolest game ever!!!!!!! except paper mario 3ds :P

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »
I am camping out outside of Best Buy for this one. And I will try to get SSFIV3D if possible. That's the best launch title for a reason: It's the coolest game ever!!!!!!! except paper mario 3ds :P
What's wrong with Paper Mario 3DS?

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2011, 04:10:55 AM »
Quote from: Nintendo Life
Why the 3DS Will Not Use an Achievement System

Nintendo appeals to gamers' sense of discovery

Across the current generation of game systems, all but Nintendo's have one thing in common some sort of Achievement scheme. This is a feature that tracks certain actions performed and points reached across titles, tallying it all into one cumulative score. Nintendo's Bill Trinen has said that even though they're "not opposed to Achievements," with their next console, the 3DS, they will continue not to employ a similar system, explaining that they feel that this would inhibit players' sense of exploration.

When they create their games, [Nintendo's designers] don't tell you how to play their game in order to achieve some kind of mythical reward... Basically, the way the games are designed is they're designed for you to explore the game yourself and have this sense of discovery. To that end, I think that when you look specifically at games from EAD [the group long led by Shigeru Miyamoto] and a lot of other games that Nintendo has developed as well, there are things you can do in the game that will result in some sort of reward or unexpected surprise. In my mind, that really encourages the sense of exploration rather than the sense of 'If I do that, I'm going to get some sort of artificial point or score that's going to make me feel better that I got this.' And that, to me, is I think more compelling.

While it's arguable that this could be avoided by designers simply not revealing how to gain Achievements, as is the case with many games, it looks as though Nintendo won't employ such a system for some time, if ever though many current titles on Nintendo platforms employ a comparable, self-contained system.

Will you miss Achievements on the 3DS, or are you happy that Nintendo's bucking the trend?

Source

You know, I think it's a really good thing that Nintendo wants keep their way unique and not like others. They want gamers to discover themselves. I don't mind either way, though.

Offline 12socc3r45

• has had a great experience, but now must progress to a higher level
  • So awesome.
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:26 AM »
Quote from: Smosh
Instead of producing two images, offset from each other like the old days... the new 3D effect is created by a liquid crystal display also drawing two images... but the this time the images are separated by a barrier that separates the images so that each eye sees a different one creating a 3D effect.

The game system comes with a warning that children under 6 should not use this kind of 3D technology because they don't know the effects it could have on young developing vision.

But the American Academy of Opthalmology seems to suggest that the game makers are being overly cautious with their warning. You see, there is no evidence that this 3D technology causes any harm to kids with healthy eyes...

But kids with conditions such as imbalances in vision and misaligned eyes, would have a hard time seeing the 3D images... they'd probably get headaches or eye fatigue while playing the 3DS THUSLY diagnosing these conditions early and making it possible for these kids to get the treatment they so desperately need.

American Academy of Opthalmology suggests: If a healthy child consistently develops headaches or tired eyes or cannot clearly see the images when using 3D digital products, this may indicate a vision or eye disorder. If such problems occur, the Academy recommends that the child be given a comprehensive exam by an ophthalmologist.

Source

This seems very interesting, yet I have s**tty eyesight anyways, so it doesn't matter for me.

I know how to drive. Step on the gas pedal, turn with the wheel, and hit as many pedestrians as you can!
   Sig Status: Pending

Offline HuntMac

« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2011, 04:42:49 AM »
Alright. I'm sold just on the Gameboy VC aspect. To those that couldn't enjoy Super Mario Land, better get on that first as an option to get. The controls are real "heavy" when you're in the air, but it's easily accustomed to... unlike some other Gameboy games :P (Donkey Kong Land is particularly bad... but you get used to it).

Offline Starlit Midnight

• Joint Account of Asuka and Kinetic!~
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2011, 06:51:50 AM »
You know, I'd much rather just get a used GBA than to buy stuff on the 3DS VC.

• au 
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
You know, I'd much rather just get a used GBA than to buy stuff on the 3DS VC.

You should go to China and get 64-in-1 pirated GC games =P

Anyways, I'm not really convinced over VC GB/(C) titles, since I'd just, well, go to China. =P

Re sense of discovery: interesting marketing. But they do have Achievements in Wii Sports Resort so...

Re eyesight: so the headline of the year will be "Game Console diagnoses 3100 paediatric eyesight problems a month"? >_>

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline Thedude3445

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
What's wrong with Paper Mario 3DS?
nothing that's why it's cooler than ssf4

btw, I was so perterbed by the 'no achievements' announcement that on MyNintendoNews I actually stopped lurking and posted O_O :P

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Nintendo Life
Australian 3DS Event Set for February 8th

Release date and price likely to be revealed

Nintendo Australia has announced that they'll be holding an event on February 8th in Sydney to discuss their launch plans for Nintendo's upcoming 3DS system.

While no specifics of the event have been detailed so far, speculation points to an Australian release date and price point being revealed to the gaming public at that date.

We'll keep you up-to-date on any new information on the Australian release of the system and if you haven't already, be sure you check out the recent media event rundown from the New York and Amsterdam press events.

Source

For Australian members such as H-J, Yoshi1, 12socc3r45, D51g, etc.

• au 
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
Feb 8 seems a little late for a release of release date >_>.

I expect that we'll be sometime after the UK/PAL region has their release. Why are we always the trailers?

...owait, we sometimes follow Japan. Glory to the AsiaPacific region. =P

Marth is not amused.