Author Topic: Mod MP1 to button mash instead of rotate  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Yoshi340

Mod MP1 to button mash instead of rotate
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:12 AM »
I was wondering if something like this existed.  So many neat looking boards for PartyPlanner are for the first one, but that one is plagued with the infamous minigames that break your palms rotating the control stick.  I want to offer an alternative through mods to just mash A or something.  Does anyone have any idea how hard it would be?

I'm a programmer and I just so happen to know a little bit about MIPS assembly instructions, but I have no clue where to even begin in locating the code I'd need to change.  I read most of the FAQ on PartyPlanner64's github, but are there any other resources out there?

Offline PartyPlanner64

Re: Mod MP1 to button mash instead of rotate
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
I briefly thought about this the other week. It would definitely be a cool patch.

If you've never worked with N64 asm like this... well there's not a lot of great tooling to help. Very few emulators actually have debuggers. I use a really old one called Nemu64 which does, plus a better video plugin (Rice video I think) than the one that comes with it so games actually work. That emulator debugger can do step debugging and memory breakpoints.

From there, I don't know much about how controller input works on N64. If I were to approach it I would try to locate something in a minigame that is affected by the number of times spun around and get a breakpoint on that value, and try to go from there. Probably pretty tricky stuff though.

Offline Yoshi340

Re: Mod MP1 to button mash instead of rotate
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:26 AM »
Thanks.  That sounds like a good start I suppose.  I'll definitely take a shot at it at least.