Author Topic: Best Approach to Board Backgrounds?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Shy Girl

• I'm a little shy
  • us 
Best Approach to Board Backgrounds?
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
Just signed up to the site after seeing it get launched. Love Mario Party, I wanna start creating boards for Mario Party 1, 2, and 3. It seems simple enough, although I'm not sure abut how to go about adding backgrounds or how to keep backgrounds the same style as the MP 1-3 games. It may have just been something I missed but if anyone could set me in the right direction for this it'd be appreciated.

Offline MikesMonsterGaming

• What's Up Guys Mike Here!
  • us 
Re: Best Approach to Board Backgrounds?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
For me personally in terms of backgrounds so far i have only done two Mario Kart tracks and one space themed board. For future boards though i am trying to pull resources for backgrounds and board objects from SNES and N64 Era games. So far they look really well with the program. Honestly if you got an idea go with whatever you think makes a good background that you can work with, and then from there plot out a linear path and after that see where you can branch out paths and connect them to allow players to traverse the board. Thats how i planned out my boards anyway, hope this helps looking forward to trying out your board
Whats up guys Mike Here from Mike's Monster Gaming and i do Nintendo Content on Youtube!

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
Welcome! There are a number of ways you can go about doing it. In the contest we did recently, we went over some of the big ways people have been doing it:

Hand Drawn - Are you an artist? Perfect! Draw up your board, then use one of the following programs to place your spaces.
Powerpoint - Good for making shapes and placing transparent images over each other.
Photoshop/Paint.Net - Image editing program, good for creating images for your board. You can use it to form your board as well.
SketchUp - Create your board using a modelling program. Import 3D models from other games or create them yourself.

Offline Shy Girl

• I'm a little shy
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
Hm... I see, okay thanks. Also I'm having another problem. I'm using the Toad Tutorial level from MP1 to over wright Chilly Waters for Mario Party 3, It looks like I have everything how it should be, it even let's me over wright without any warnings or errors, but I can't get the game to load on the emulator. I have no idea why this is happening.

Offline Shy Girl

• I'm a little shy
  • us 
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
Okay never mind, I forgot to change the memory size of the game, the map worked fine kinda. After 7 turns on one point where you pick between 2 routes the game crashed, not sure why, it was fine the first 4 times we got to that part of the map. But I'm making progress! :)

Offline PKOkay

• I get lost easily
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
Shy Girl, I'm having a similar issue, but it seems you have found a solution and I would like to attempt the fix, however, I do not know how to change the memory size of the game. Can you help me?
Earthbound's one of few things keeping me alive.