Author Topic: Mario Party - Taking Out Code  (Read 2880 times)

Offline darkknux

Mario Party - Taking Out Code
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
A friend of mine and I were talking about Mario Party a couple of weeks ago and decided to play the original at his house. He started the game and the story intro came up and said something was wrong. My friend freaked out and I knew exactly what it was, he has a N64DD attached to his system.

Now it's pretty easy to de-attach the N64DD but he does play a lot of F-Zero with the expansion disk and Sim City 64, so my question is how hard would it be to hack the original Mario Party and take out the lines of code that prevent the game from booting because of the N64DD being attached?

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
Re: Mario Party - Taking Out Code
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:35:20 PM »
It really depends on if you know how to write and read code made for an N64 game.

But, in this case I don't think it really matters. Unless you know how to overwrite data on an actual N64 cartridge. And if you, well, actually do successfully stop the game from booting then how in the world would you actually play the game? :P

Just deattach the peripheral, and when the game is done reattach it. I don't have a 64DD so I don't know how hard or easy it is to hook it up but as you claim it's easy, so...
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline darkknux

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:24:11 AM »
It really depends on if you know how to write and read code made for an N64 game.

But, in this case I don't think it really matters. Unless you know how to overwrite data on an actual N64 cartridge. And if you, well, actually do successfully stop the game from booting then how in the world would you actually play the game? :P

Just deattach the peripheral, and when the game is done reattach it. I don't have a 64DD so I don't know how hard or easy it is to hook it up but as you claim it's easy, so...

He does have an EverDrive so if someone were to ever do it then he could play the modified rom that way legally since he does own the cart, who knows maybe there's a GameShark code that could solve it, its a niche problem so easy to just deattach the 64DD  :P

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
I'd guess this would be a very small modification somewhere early on in the boot sequence. The hard part is finding out where it happens.

Depending on how complete the 64DD support is, you might find that just stopping the first check would only cause problems later on when it could try to read the information it assumes might be present.

Offline Benforesj

• Benforesj
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:20 AM »
Expected to have knowledge of this, read it again. It was a great experience and knowledge.

Offline Luigidenne3DSGCN

• A Super Triple Deluxe Supreme Pokemon-Befriendng Mansioneer
  • "Road got 'ya down? Enter the Luge."
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:52:57 AM »
You've seen an actual 64DD?! :o I must know its quirks.
"At last, the promise has been made..." and then some. :ssb4cloud:
:luigi: :toadette: :toad: :mario: :peach: :daisy: :rosalina: :donkeykong: :diddykong: :shyguy: :boo: :penguin: :ssb4luigi: :ssb4rosalina: :ssb4kirby: :ssb4kingdedede:  :ssb4pikachu: :ssb4jigglypuff: :ssb4toonlink: :ssb4link: :ssb4zelda: :ssb4sheik: :ssb4palutena: :ssb4villager_f: :ssb4reflet: :ssb4lucina: :ssb4kamui::ssb4mewtwo:

Offline darkknux

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
I'd guess this would be a very small modification somewhere early on in the boot sequence. The hard part is finding out where it happens.

Depending on how complete the 64DD support is, you might find that just stopping the first check would only cause problems later on when it could try to read the information it assumes might be present.

I'd actually like to see if there is more information regarding the Disk Drive in the ROM after the first check. I'm no programmer so looking at hex code gives me a headache, so here's to the programmers understanding and possibly modifying the code in the future.  I really can't wait to see what the community uncovers, modifies and creates :)

You've seen an actual 64DD?! :o I must know its quirks.

Oh yes, they are interesting pieces of hardware, too bad they were a failure, so much potential there  :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:43:54 PM by darkknux »