Author Topic: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor  (Read 32747 times)

Offline Zachula5

Re: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:08 AM »
Yeah or to have all the boards, board items and characters

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
I've looked into the 3d model data a bit more closely, and added a really primitive model viewer just for fun. Unfortunately I only understand the vertex data, so everything is dots! (I've shared elsewhere that I have my notes on the model format here, if anyone is interested.)

Some are very large, so it is pretty easy to tell what they are:

Edit: This led to me realizing that this was possible :). This is Waluigi and Daisy in MP1! But their animations are messed up. I don't know how to edit sound either so still a long way from something usable.

This project seems like it is never-ending, and I have not had a lot of time lately to devote to it. I do mean to release something soon. Right now I have MP2 and 3 hidden behind an "advanced" setting because they just aren't ready yet, but they can be enabled. MP3 in particular is close, but it has this issue where it hangs randomly and I haven't been able to track it down.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:43:54 PM by PartyPlanner64 »

Offline EpicJackman

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »
Hey, even if you haven't had too much time to develop, it still means a lot that you would take up the task of making this idea a reality.  Keep up the great work, and maybe we'll see something stable in the future!

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
Amazing work, but that's not new. :P

Model viewer I assume is for pretty much the minigames, right? Does it work across the three games or just MP1?

MP2 and MP3 support is super awesome, so know that there are so many of us who are excited to see what you've got in store!

Offline TotesTim

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Happy to see that you're still working on this! Don't worry about not being able to work on it as frequently. You're doing an amazing job.

Offline 🍕 Slyshock 🍕

• Join the Mario Party Netplay discord today!
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Any chance you'll implement tools to edit mini-games, or at least a mini-game toggle?

MP1-3 have a ton of fun mini-games, but some could definitely be balanced better, and I don't think anyone I know would miss the stick rotation games in MP1.

Also, if it were possible to port mini-games, then mini-games taken out wouldn't lower the amount of mini-games that could appear, and there could even be something like a "best of" compilation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:31:33 AM by 🍕 Slyshock 🍕 »

Offline SmithJrBlaquaLuigi

• YouTube Gaming
  • us 
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:54 PM »
Well Hi! I'm new here!

Anyway, This is very interesting. Can I showcase your Mario Party hack to do the LP through my YouTube Gaming Channel whenever you're finish hacking your project? If so, let me know! :)

Sorry, I have a little bad English.

Also, sorry if It's kinda advertising.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
I've made some good changes to the way I manage writing custom code back to the ROMs. I was running into a lot of issues where overwriting boards would corrupt something that shouldn't be overwritten. Now, I place all the board's code in a reserved space in the Expansion Pak memory region.

While it further cements the need for an Expansion Pak, this change really brings a lot of stability. There will now be essentially no limitation on how complex boards can be, because I am reserving something like 320KB of memory, as opposed to 2-10KB the original boards had.

The main reason I did this enhancement was that it fixes the crashes in Mario Party 3, which is exciting. I think I am reaching stability where I can release something to try out, maybe a month or so from now.

Any chance you'll implement tools to edit mini-games, or at least a mini-game toggle?

Mini-games are completely hard-coded portions of the code, so I don't really think there can ever be much of an editor for those (at least with any sort of flexibility). I mean, you could probably modify the existing games here and there, but to actually make a Mini-game would require writing ASM (or maybe very low-level C). I have not looked into Mini-games much at all, perhaps there is some sort of common API they use, but it probably isn't much to work off of.

Toggling what games show up is more doable. I imagine there is some sort of simple list of their indices somewhere.

Can I showcase your Mario Party hack to do the LP through my YouTube Gaming Channel whenever you're finish hacking your project? If so, let me know! :)

Sure, I would not mind people making videos. I am hoping people make boards with this so I can try them!

Offline Mario_Comix

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Wow! This sounds great! Thanks for all of your immense work into this project. I'm very excited for its release.
Please check out my Super Mario Maker stages! They can be found in the "Super Mario Maker Community Levels" thread.

Offline 🍕 Slyshock 🍕

• Join the Mario Party Netplay discord today!
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »
Mini-games are completely hard-coded portions of the code, so I don't really think there can ever be much of an editor for those (at least with any sort of flexibility). I mean, you could probably modify the existing games here and there, but to actually make a Mini-game would require writing ASM (or maybe very low-level C). I have not looked into Mini-games much at all, perhaps there is some sort of common API they use, but it probably isn't much to work off of.

Toggling what games show up is more doable. I imagine there is some sort of simple list of their indices somewhere.

What about changing certain values rather than making elements from scratch? Something like raising or lowering the timer, or increasing the knockback in Bumper Balls, or  making The Beat Goes On end with everyone alive winning rather than a draw? I'd imagine little changes like those by themselves could make some games more fun.

A simple list would be nice, yes. Any chance PP64 would ever include a feature like that, a list where you could go through and toggle minigames on and off?

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2016, 02:24:34 AM »
I can't wait! I'll make so much boards, you have NO IDEA!!  :P
Thanks also for making this dream a reality!
But a question about MP1, could it be possible to include some action replays codes in it? (Like, to be able to play the unused minigames, or play the debug Minigame tournament, ect... If you know what I mean!)

Offline EpicJackman

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
I'm happy to hear stability is possible, because this opens the door to so many possibilities.  Minigames may be hard coded, but I believe the attributes of the games can be changed, and it's entirely possible to inject unused games, but that may be a little harder.  However, I'm more interested in the fact that more space for boards = the possibility of more boards.  I feel as if adding a custom board would be easier to achieve than a custom minigame, since creating boards is the specialty of PP64.

Honestly, the most exciting part is that we might be seeing a release in the near future, so I can't wait!

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • us 
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2016, 12:56:05 AM »
I love reading all your updates PP64, I get so excited when I see you post here. :P

So this extra space for the MP3 boards, what exactly will this let us do? Higher quality backgrounds? Or just more event areas? Or both?

making The Beat Goes On end with everyone alive winning rather than a draw?
aka making that minigame playable. It's this kind of stuff that I think will be possible a minigame editor doesn't since there are just so many different variables and the minigames are so different from each other.

Offline SmithJrBlaquaLuigi

• YouTube Gaming
  • us 
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
I'm sorry to ask, but where is the Mario Party Editor board to make a hack?

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • us 
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »
It hasn't been released yet, but we are holding a contest in preparation for its release:

http://mariopartylegacy.com/2016/10/create-a-mario-party-board-contest-1/