Author Topic: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor  (Read 31976 times)

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
Re: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
It's not a theory, roms made in PP64 have been confirmed to work on real hardware. I got that information from the PP64 github wiki page, but yeah. :P
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline PartyStar

• SO HYPED FOR SUPER MARIO PARTY
  • us 
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
This is going to sound so newbish, but how do you make conjunctions so you can pick between two ways? I tried to connect one space to two others and it will only allow me to connect it to one.... I don't understand. XD
*NEW 2018* Mario Party: Elimination! http://www.mariopartylegacy.com/forum/index.php?topic=16425.msg314584;topicseen#msg314584
10 spots open, first come first serve! :)

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
This is going to sound so newbish, but how do you make conjunctions so you can pick between two ways? I tried to connect one space to two others and it will only allow me to connect it to one.... I don't understand. XD

Whoops, I broke it earlier this afternoon. Now it should be fixed and I think it will just work as you would expect. :)

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
Spent some time this weekend on skeleton key doors in MP3. They are kind of a pain to test because they can be approached from either direction, and access can either be granted or denied. Thankfully they seem to be working as the day closes.

Given that the gates are all very specific to the original board theme, I think we need to come up with a generic gate graphic that will not look out of place. I'll try to come up with something better than my initial hasty prototype as seen above, but I would also encourage anyone to create a nicer gate graphic and send it my way.

The requirement is that it must be mirrored across both sides of the gate, and that it fits within this mask image. So basically, we can design the post and the door appearance.

(This is actually the gate shape from the desert board, I'm planning to use that gate instead of the chilly one because it is simplest to manipulate the graphic.)

For now I don't plan to support importing custom gate graphics because the requirements are so particular, but I might consider it in the future.

Sometime this week I will hopefully finish testing this feature and push it out to the site. The board creation page will also be updated with details about gates; there are going to be pretty strict space layout requirements around the gates. Only 2 gates will be supported for the near future.

Offline Mario_Comix

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »
Here, I made a thing.
Please check out my Super Mario Maker stages! They can be found in the "Super Mario Maker Community Levels" thread.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
I've pushed out the Skeleton Key changes to the site, and wrote up a little bit in the guide about the restrictions in place. I also coded some of these as checks in the editor.

One thing I did not write a check for (yet), but is hopefully kind of obvious, is that you shouldn't create dead ends with gates. That is, don't have two branching paths that both have gates down them, or have a gate right along the initial path from the start. The game relies on there being a branch prior to encountering a gate, and being able to proceed onward down the opposite direction if the player cannot enter the gate.

Let me know if this introduced any instability or unrelated issues. The code has actually been on the site, but not visible, for most of the week so I believe it is at least not going to cause issues aside from when gates are used.

Here, I made a thing.

Thanks, I decided I really wanted a golden gate though, so I didn't end up using this graphic :).

Offline Mario_Comix

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »
No problem, golden doors feel quite standard. As well, at least Skeleton Doors are going to be implemented! Thanks for all your hard work, as always.

Edit: I should mention, I was just trying out the editor with Skeleton Doors, and I found that in MP1 and MP2, if you right-click the space, the MP3 spaces pop up instead.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:36:06 PM by Mario_Comix »
Please check out my Super Mario Maker stages! They can be found in the "Super Mario Maker Community Levels" thread.

Offline Spongyoshi

• Fan of Mario Parties,other games and Cartoons. I love both the New & Old games!!
  • It's Show Time!
  • fr 
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:42 AM »

Maybe something like that?  ;D

Offline polyhex

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
I made a board & now my ROM crashes as soon as I choose the 4th character in the pipe. The music keeps playing but the ROM is totally frozen. Is this normal and is there an easy solution?

Offline gamemasterplc

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »
Request ASM Injection into ROM with starting ROM Offset and starting RAM origin. The program already does predetermined ASM after verifying the ROM.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
I made a board & now my ROM crashes as soon as I choose the 4th character in the pipe. The music keeps playing but the ROM is totally frozen. Is this normal and is there an easy solution?

That's not normal, if you can "Export board" and send a copy I might be able to figure out what is wrong if it is reproducible.

Request ASM Injection into ROM with starting ROM Offset and starting RAM origin. The program already does predetermined ASM after verifying the ROM.

I'm not sure I understand this request. You want some way to generally be able to inject custom code into the ROM? If you have more details on how that would work I could maybe add it. (Like, where the hook should be. I'm assuming this would be for something like gameshark codes where you'd want it to run every frame.)

Offline gamemasterplc

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
There is no hook. You can use .romorg from starting ROM address and .ramorg for starting RAM address. You could just overwrite the address within the ROM specified by each .romorg with the assembled output before the next .romorg. The RAM origin is required due to the game having overlapping load address for modules and to define data. This could be used for custom events that run in 1 shot without any threading. The original events do some threading in a way I don't understand. Input should be a MIPS .s file. You can also write a generic GS Patcher using the hook at 0x80013E7C for NTSC-U Mario Party 1, 0x800A203C for NTSC-U Mario Party 2, and 0x80078E9C for NTSC-U Mario Party 3. Place the generated GS actions in the Expansion Pak area and load them in a way with an guranteed known address. If you support 8 and 16 bit writes and if equals, you support every known code in Mario Party 1-3. Make sure to save and restore registers before returning. The exact routines that the GameShark use for each codetype are at http://gamehacking.org/wiki/Hacking_N64#Code_Handler_Hacks. You will definitely want to use different registers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:12:04 PM by gamemasterplc »

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Support has been added for Gameshark codes in the editor. Cheats work for Mario Party 1, 2, and 3. The idea is that you can add cheats that are baked into the ROM, without the need for a Gameshark / emulator configuration.

Enable "Advanced Features" from the Settings page, and you'll find the box to insert cheats on the Patches page. Paste only the actual cheats in the XXXXXXXX YYYY format (multiple lines OK), but don't include any extra text.

Thanks to gamemasterplc for some tips in this area.