PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor

Author Topic: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor  (Read 27688 times)

Offline PartyPlanner64

Re: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »
Here's maybe an update for anyone who didn't catch the videos, and a request for some creative input as I finish up the very few functional changes I want to make before an initial release.

First, here's screenshots from the main two views in PP64:

http://i.imgur.com/27vmytN.png

http://i.imgur.com/aCyJ3UG.png

The problem is I'm terrible at drawing, so I have no good default graphics! I would like for there to be a set of default board assets that are generic enough so that someone could only place spaces and not have a terrible experience on a boring black background.

This wiki page goes over the details of the assets that you can see in the screenshots (dimensions, etc.). The original board graphics could also be of interest.

My thoughts for the main background have been to have some sort of a grid. It would also be nice if the perspective of the image was similar to the originals and helped to illustrate how the perspective should be drawn.

For the scene backgrounds, it would be nice to just have them match the theme of the main board background.

The 4 bottom character graphics in the Toolbox have also been troubling. I don't want to have the likenesses of these characters present in the UI, but I still want the features to be understandable. (That's kind of what I was going for with the Boo for example.) These are 42x42 (doesn't really matter though, not a game asset).

I'd appreciate any help with the graphics. Release will come a lot faster if someone can really knock these out of the park ;)

Offline smashbro29

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »
You're the champ for doing this and the ultra champ for making sure the editor spits out files that are usable on actual N64s.

I made an account just for that.

Offline TotesTim

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
You're the champ for doing this and the ultra champ for making sure the editor spits out files that are usable on actual N64s.

I made an account just for that.

Agreed. While I can't be of much help on the art side, I have spread the word to hopefully speed up the process of finding an artist who would be able to help you.

Either way, keep up the good work. I've been hoping that something like this would exist for the past five or six years.

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
I retweeted your request on the MPL Twitter, so hopefully that caught the attention of some artists.

The board itself should be a single 960 x 720 image.

This, along with the background scenes, is good info. You don't have to wait for the editor to be released in order to get started on creating your board. Anyone can work on that now!

Example image for those that are too lazy to follow PP's link:

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Sorry PartyPlanner64, I'm on the same boat as you. I'm TERRIBLE in graphics and such. Don't ask me how I was able to build my MP Game w/ some graphics... It took too much time where I'm good with assembly coding and such...

Offline Luke

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
Hey I am new to this forum and this tool is truly amazing. I was wondering if you knew if hacks made by party planner worked on actual hardware through an EverDrive 64 or a 64 drive. Lots of hacks are made only for emulator and don't work on console. I would be happy to test it on my EverDrive 64 to see if it works on console. If you would want to you can pm me a patch or a rom or an early build of the program so I can test if its compatible.

Also I made a grid like board for a graphic you could use as a default template for your tool.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »
Hey I am new to this forum and this tool is truly amazing. I was wondering if you knew if hacks made by party planner worked on actual hardware through an EverDrive 64 or a 64 drive. Lots of hacks are made only for emulator and don't work on console. I would be happy to test it on my EverDrive 64 to see if it works on console. If you would want to you can pm me a patch or a rom or an early build of the program so I can test if its compatible.

Also I made a grid like board for a graphic you could use as a default template for your tool.

I do some testing on 64drive and I would assume it would also work on EverDrive 64. An expansion pak will also be required for the time being.

That graphic could be an interesting template for others if they like the Rainbow Castle theme, but I'm looking to have something much more generic so there is no theme imposed.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
Here's something a little exciting. I wrote my first successful (non-crashing) space layout to Mario Party 2 today!

It will be awhile before writing to MP2 is stable. The board images are larger (1152x864) but the camera is weird so everything is very zoomed. It will be awhile before I can adapt the trick to overwrite the background and figure out all the custom event code to make it usable.

Offline TotesTim

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
Pretty exciting stuff. Do you plan on figuring how how to edit shop items and the like as well?

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
In terms of background templating, does it necessarily need to be in color (the bane of my design existence)?

Also MP2 progress is great and I can't wait to see it in full swing

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • us 
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 02:00:20 AM »
Mario Party 2 progress already! This beyond exciting. A Mario Party editor is already cool as it is, but a Mario Party 2 editor is something I've only seen in dreams. Don't get me started on a Mario Party 3 editor...

Also, what's with that purple space?

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
They made it easier to replace the backgrounds fortunately, but I'm having a lot of trouble with crashing.

Also, what's with that purple space?
The purple and yellow spaces are what toad and bowser stand on. I had just messed them up originally.

Pretty exciting stuff. Do you plan on figuring how how to edit shop items and the like as well?
I haven't gotten far enough to even test with items, so I can't remember how the shop works. I thought it just had a random assortment, maybe based on progress in the game.

In terms of background templating, does it necessarily need to be in color (the bane of my design existence)?
No, it shouldn't need to be in color.

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • us 
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
That's so awesome!

Side note, I'd like to see the rules MP2 has implemented for the item shop. Specifically what is required for item X to show up (or not show up) when player has Y.

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
Continuing to be distracted by Mario Party 2, I've pretty much figured out the board animation feature. The original boards have this feature where small little animations go on in the background, for example the cows in Western Land move their heads up and down. It does this by swapping certain image tiles between two different states. (So the entire background is stored, and then the tiles that change are stored in a sparse tree separately.

So naturally the question is how far can this go? I created a couple variations of a background and wrote the entirety of both (so every time the animation state changes, the entire board image changes). Suprisingly it doesn't crash, but it seems like the amount of changes are too much such that they cause a bit of flickering with each change.

(This video is kind of crappy but I wanted to test on real hardware to see if it still was flickering there.)

But used in moderation, this will probably be a pretty neat feature to support. PP64 would just take two separate images, do a diff between the two to keep the sparse tree small, and write to ROM.

Western Land actually has 3 animation states. I may look into how many the game actually supports.

Offline BossBlitz

• Yummy !
  • Tμс★Squad
  • us 
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »
Are you going to release a limited beta version first or are you going make sure every element is available to mod  before release?

:ssb4kirby: :ssb4metaknight: :ssb4villager: