Author Topic: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor  (Read 32031 times)

Offline Mister Sushi

• Hi, my name is Ronin and I like almost everything.
  • ca 
Re: PartyPlanner64 - Mario Party Board Editor
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:53:48 AM »
OMG IS THIS REALITY? IM ABOUT TO PEE MYSELF I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU YOU SWEET LOVING KIND SOUL I LOVE YOU :king boo:
I like sushi but I think you already knew that.
:kingboo:

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Amazing! We need to make this go viral, good work like this should never go overlooked.

Offline Timmy

• ~Yo-YO, let's GO! PSI Prodigy!~
  • ca 
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:25 PM »
This is likely more tricky/demanding but is it possible to look into the ? Spaces and how the effects are programmed? Would it be possible to (eventually) allow one to build ? Spaces to do as they wish within a set option list (i.e. swap Toad & Bowser, move the player from Location A to B, make someone lose coins, etc.)

From what I recall in the video the ? Spaces on the custom boards didn't do anything, but I can't really blame you for that b/c I'd imagine wanting to tell the game "have X character move to Location A/B/C" (for example) would be EXTREMELY confusing to program. =P

But great job, I can't wait to hear more! :)

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
This is likely more tricky/demanding but is it possible to look into the ? Spaces and how the effects are programmed? Would it be possible to (eventually) allow one to build ? Spaces to do as they wish within a set option list (i.e. swap Toad & Bowser, move the player from Location A to B, make someone lose coins, etc.)

From what I recall in the video the ? Spaces on the custom boards didn't do anything, but I can't really blame you for that b/c I'd imagine wanting to tell the game "have X character move to Location A/B/C" (for example) would be EXTREMELY confusing to program. =P

The engine is built run an event (ASM routine) whenever a space is walked over or landed on. These are just blobs of assembly that PP64 tries to recognize as particular events and show accordingly in the UI. I am easily able to find all the happening space functions, but I would need to study them one by one and it is just a tedious process.

I am particularly interested in some of the more general events like the warp from Eternal Star or maybe the cannon from Wario's board. Problems will probably arise if the game doesn't load certain assets for these events into every board, so they might be only supported when overriding certain boards. (All of this in the future of course.)

The happening spaces are at least useful for the happening star, and randomizing the mini-game type each turn. I am focusing on the bread and butter events that are basically essential (visit Boo, Bowser, Chance time, etc.) and just in general fixing issues with overwriting.

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
I am particularly interested in some of the more general events like the warp from Eternal Star or maybe the cannon from Wario's board. Problems will probably arise if the game doesn't load certain assets for these events into every board, so they might be only supported when overriding certain boards. (All of this in the future of course.)
Ah, that makes sense. I can see a lot of creativity coming from these already established happening spaces.

What are you trying to get done before launch? Just little things here and there, clean up?

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
Today I fixed some issues with layouts that quickly split and join paths, like this one:

Another issue is that not placing enough Boos/Bowsers/Koopas leaves them in a big pile on the start space right now. I need to either patch the drawing routine or just put them off screen.

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
out of interest does defining the Boos/Bowsers/Koopas outside of the board circuit cause errors or not?

(I'm mainly thinking with regard to the Mini-Game Circuit...? I think it was called where there's only Koopa and otherwise just spaces)

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, why did you make the video's private? Is there something wrong with it, or did you not want to make people too excited for something that won't be released for a while?(as you said you wanted to release the editor in a few weeks, but some people can be... impatient, to say the least :P )
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline Nintega Dario

• NiiiiiiiiiiiiiinTEGA!!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
Today I fixed some issues with layouts that quickly split and join paths, like this one:

Another issue is that not placing enough Boos/Bowsers/Koopas leaves them in a big pile on the start space right now. I need to either patch the drawing routine or just put them off screen.

LOL Playable Bowser FTW

Offline GrandStarGalaxy

• Nothing to see here, move along
  • Nothing here either
  • us 
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
This is amazing. Great job, I hope that this gets as much attention as it deserves.

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
LOL Playable Bowser FTW

On a tangent here, but would it be possible to have a pseudo Bowser turn with MP2 as if every turn a Bowser Bomb was in play (but didn't occupy the inventories of anyone)?

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline Mariokirby101

• Let's a-go!
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »
This looks really cool! I can't view the video at the moment, but from what I see in the screenshots it looks pretty cool! In that board, I'd add a Star at least...
Itsa me, Mario Kirby! Bring it on!
Super Mario Party signups: http://www.mariopartylegacy.com/forum/index.php?topic=16103.0

Offline PartyPlanner64

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:23 PM »
out of interest does defining the Boos/Bowsers/Koopas outside of the board circuit cause errors or not?
I haven't looked much at the Mini-Game Island maps, although they are defined the same way as regular boards. The limitations for all boards are at least going to start out the same as what the original limitations are (so for DK: 1 Bowser, 2 Boos, 1 Koopa). There is opportunity to expand on that a bit probably, but if a character isn't present at all then it will be a lot more difficult.

On a tangent here, but would it be possible to have a pseudo Bowser turn with MP2 as if every turn a Bowser Bomb was in play (but didn't occupy the inventories of anyone)?
Sure it's possible:
  • Find the place where item information is stored. (Probably already around the net in GS codes.)
  • Breakpoint in memory and wait for the game to try to read a bowser bomb.
  • Patch that routine to always do the bowser bomb logic regardless of the item.
This wouldn't really have a place in a general purpose editor, but it could be a fun mod.

Offline Dirtcruncher

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »
Just created an account here to say I'm very excited about this! As a lover of Mario Party, I must say thank you for making this kind of program.

Offline DarkCrash

• Crash will return!
  • br 
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Amazing! This looks really nice!  :)