Author Topic: Beta Elements in Games  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Zympherior

• Outsider that reached Fantasy
  • "You shouldn't underestimate humans these days."
  • mx 
Beta Elements in Games
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »
You know, objects, missions, cutscenes, or gameplay mechanics that were scrapped from the games we play because of lack of space, because of lack of time, or, simply, because the developers didn't know how to implement them. Some were for the better, but some could also enhance the gameplay, if only a little. So, what do you think about beta elements in games? Have you been a beta tester for some games before?

Now, there are many things in my mind for this topic, but one thing that would be really good in my opinion is if OoT's Final Boss was actually a Climb-the-Colossus fight instead of what it actually is. I mean, the actual fight really sets the mood, but it is kinda boring for me... I know that idea then got carried over to Megaleg from SMG, but it would still be cool if Ninty could pull that off.

Bold example much?
Look, look with your special eyes...

Offline Kaede

Re: Beta Elements in Games
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
I would have found Super Mario Sunshine a lot more interesting if they had chosen the "cape town" setting and had humans in the mix (the Delfino Express sounded a little annoying). As I said in another topic, I thought SMS was disappointing compared to SM64 in terms of the level design and the FLUDD concept, but for some reason this beta video made me think that I would've loved the game if they made it in a "realistic" sense similar to Zelda.

Also, you can go to beta64.com to see a whole flock of beta elements from many games. It's a pretty interesting site (though their Youtube channel is slightly cringey)

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
Just a couple of words... Paper Mario Sticker Star beta images, I just remember how excited it got me until the change happened. Aka, the partner thing... I know there are some other games that I wanted to try out the beta elements. Like, the shower stall in DK64, would've been cool. I like taking showers in game (like in TTYD).

Offline ImpaDude

• ImpaDude
  • Hyrule Hero, and an Enemy Executer
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »
Yoshi's Woolly World originally had that 2.5D look in the very first images. When that was taken out I was mildly disappointed.