Author Topic: Water levels  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Gizmo

Water levels
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »
What do you think about water levels in video games? Usually I hate them, but A Link Between Worlds proved to me that water levels can actually be good. Swamp Palace wasn't bad :P.

Offline TermFox7

• ★Knight of Star★
  • th 
Re: Water levels
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:02 AM »
Water levels annoy about some slow travel or adventure and limit dive time(have gameplay have drown).
but i love most water levels/stage/based music that soft, calm and melody.  :)

Offline MKKINGZ

• British weirdo
  • gb 
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
Its strange warter levels in 2D mario games annoy me BUT in 3D mario games and Donkey kong games they Don't I dont know I like the Idea of a break from the fast moving action and to work on other skills like timing to avoid being attacked by fish for example :cheepcheep:

Offline Luigidenne3DSGCN

• A Super Triple Deluxe Supreme Pokemon-Befriendng Mansioneer
  • "Road got 'ya down? Enter the Luge."
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
I often find myself looking forward to water levels because I know many of them have wonderful, relaxing music music and it just feels so soothing. It's like I've become one with the ocean, there's just lots of fun things to do in the water itself, and I like or love all the ones I have played through.
"At last, the promise has been made..." and then some. :ssb4cloud:
:luigi: :toadette: :toad: :mario: :peach: :daisy: :rosalina: :donkeykong: :diddykong: :shyguy: :boo: :penguin: :ssb4luigi: :ssb4rosalina: :ssb4kirby: :ssb4kingdedede:  :ssb4pikachu: :ssb4jigglypuff: :ssb4toonlink: :ssb4link: :ssb4zelda: :ssb4sheik: :ssb4palutena: :ssb4villager_f: :ssb4reflet: :ssb4lucina: :ssb4kamui::ssb4mewtwo:

Offline NathanBros

• Awesome plumber
  • br 
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
What I like in water levels of 2D games like Mario series is the almost radical change of gameplay and overall mood of these levels. But I think the need of repetitive button pressing for y axis navigation is really boring in this case, a simply directional press would be a lot better, like in Alex Kidd water levels in Sega Master System.
Checkout my Mario blog (Portuguese): Jogos do Mario.

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
I always loved water levels! EXCEPT Water Temple if know what i mean :P

Offline Bowser498

• Bowser498: Super Mario Video Game Expert
  • Yoshi and Bowser rule!
  • us 
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
For me, water levels are kind irritating and challenging. It may be hard to control and the enemies, such as Blooper and Cheep Chomp, can be very annoying... But some water levels I've played were quite fun and challenging! ;)

-IN THE PROCESS OF REDOING MY SIG- :ssb4yoshi: :ssb4bowser:

Offline Mother4Ever

• The PSI Powerhouse & PK Professional
  • I'm gonna Smaaaash my way to victory
  • us 
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
Water levels are ehhh for certain games, but i think their okay. Some water physics for games suck and some dont nd i love the motion in swimming in games...so calming

Offline Colyton

• ca 
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
From my experience, not always the best worlds/levels.

- Water Temple from TLoZ: Ocarina of Time (the unfamous famous level)
- Dire Dire Docks from SM64
- Gloomy Galleon from DK64
- Great Bay Temple from Majora's Mask

Just to name a few. I'm sure these are only the tip of the iceberg and that worse water levels exist. Though, these are the ones that came to mind. Most of the time, it's not necessarily the level that is a nightmare, but the controls swimming or whatsoever.

Offline Zympherior

• Outsider that reached Fantasy
  • "You shouldn't underestimate humans these days."
  • mx 
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »
Water levels aren't that bad for me. The slow movement and how vulnerable you are in some games is the problem IMO...
But still, gotta love how calm some water levels may be.

Also I don't understand the hate of OoT's Water Temple... When you finally learn that secret passage with the hidden key, shouldn't you be able to remember about that passage in your future playthroughs? I never had a problem with finding it.
Look, look with your special eyes...