Author Topic: Nintendo WiFi connection to be shut down on May 20, 2014  (Read 7228 times)

Offline IggyKoopaStar

• ca 
Nintendo WiFi connection to be shut down on May 20, 2014
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
Nintendo is shutting down the Wi-Fi Connection service for DS and Wii on May 20, Nintendo of Japan announced today.

While Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii users will no longer be able to online features such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards from the announced date, according to a Nintendo of Australia press release, the Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop will not be affected. Browsers for the DS and DSi will also be accessible beyond the date, as well as the Wii's Delivery Channel, Hulu, Internet Channel and YouTube.

The service's retirement will affect 20 Nintendo published Wii games and Wii Ware titles, including Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Pokmon Battle Revolution. More than 40 Nintendo published DS and DSi software titles will also be affected, such as Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Pokmon Platinum Version, Professor Layton and the Curious Village and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. The full list of titles are available on the official Nintendo of Australia website.

We have reached out to Nintendo to confirm if the Wi-Fi Connection service termination is worldwide.

Update: "This is a global termination which will take place on 20th May 2014 Worldwide."
Original Source. My source

I knew this would happen eventually, it got announced about an hour ago, I first saw it on the Japan Nintendo website. Just search some other places and you'll find out. And this just basically killed everything I had from Nintendo to this point because I don't want to go further than this now. So all Wii and DS owners, this basically just destryoed any chances for all of you to continue playing those older games now because they'll be off in a few months fron now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:50:26 PM by Umbreon36 »
:ssb4iggy: :ssb4lemmy: :ssb4larry:

Offline Yoshiman222

• Now a Yoshi-Tactician. :P
  • Dat sanwich tho...
  • ca 
Re: Nintendo WiFi connection to be shut down on May 20, 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Well, I guess it makes sense... but I wonder why they couldn't just somehow integrate it into the Nintendo Network somehow...?

This makes some of my Wii games for the most part worthless now... er, soon, when it does go away...

Offline IggyKoopaStar

• ca 
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
Well, I guess it makes sense... but I wonder why they couldn't just somehow integrate it into the Nintendo Network somehow...?
I think the WiFi connection (of WFC) is another service that Nintendo did made and that they probably redid another one for the Nintendo Network (maybe, I'm just saying this like that), so I am not sure 'why the shutdown', but I guess it's probably because they are out of ressources to make it work or something. But I should say it's a shame to ne, to be honest, due to how I don't really want to get other Mario games now, so rather continuing this way somewhere else on another platform for now.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
Well, it's a shame but expected that this is happening. I didn't play online all that much, maybe except Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Fortune Street.

Never even went online for any of the DS games, so I guess no biggie there.

Nintendo doesn't want to keep paying for servers for older games. Everyone just gotta move on. It hurts, but really, can't have all things last forever.

Better have the last three months dedicated to Nintendo DS/Wii online now, for those that use it all the time.

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »
You almost gave me a heart attack, Umbreon.

Was thinking "WHAT!? OH GOD!?". Even if it did affect 3DS, it seems all I use is safe.

What about Netflix on Wii?(assume it's safe)
I think Netflix is unaffected. So is YouTube and Hulu Plus, it seems.

And here's another source, with the list of games.

To think, all the Pokmon games gamers have spent online for those...wow. And some stuff you earn for completing tasks online from those games...no longer be able to get 100%.

Offline Dark Boo

• Can I object!?
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
No more custom tracks WW

Offline IggyKoopaStar

• ca 
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »
You almost gave me a heart attack, Umbreon.

Was thinking "WHAT!? OH GOD!?". Even if it did affect 3DS, it seems all I use is safe.
Well Nintendo WiFi connection is not Nintendo Network, so that's why. I think the two are just different services provided. I guess they just want to concentrate in the newly developped Nintendo Network, which is for Wii U and 3DS.

What about Netflix on Wii?(assume it's safe)
I haven't heard if it was or not so I can't really give any 'yes or no' in this. I could say a 'maybe'.

No more custom tracks WW
And exactly this, Custom Tracks will obviously be affected as well, due to how it's on Nintendo servers. I always played Normal races and never got interests on any custom things because of how I don't like to modify datas from a game like this, I like to keep things original.

Offline The Shattered Legacy

• Goddess of Light || 8B1T
  • Your Resident Cosmic Senpai
  • au 
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
according to a Nintendo of Australia press release
Damn Australians ruining everything

I wonder if the Wii hacking community might try to hack the online networking for the games in question then...?

Marth is not amused.
:ssb4marth::ssb4roy::ssb4ike::ssb4lucina::ssb4robin::ssb4reflet::ssb4corrin::ssb4kamui:

Offline Vipsoccermaster

• us 
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »
Also, the Nintendo Video (3DS application) in Japan will cease to function as of Monday, March 31, 2014, too. No word why on this. Other region never stated this, so maybe it's just Japan.

Offline Luma Party

• The Luma
  • ca 
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:22:09 AM »
No more playing Mario Kart Wii online then...
Now, they need to add online to more Wii U games.

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »
At first I thought Nintendo was shutting down Wii U server and I was about to die. Well since there will be no more Nintendo WiFi connection, they can focus more on Nintendo Network and hopefully it would have a better server. Oh and less lag...

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
I wonder if the Wii hacking community might try to hack the online networking for the games in question then...?
As cool as that would be, the server they make would be too laggy to be enjoyable, at least I know that for MKWII. It would also cost them quite some money, which honestly, it won't be worth it in the end.

It saddens me this is happening, the whole reason I even play MKWII/Brawl is because of the Wi-Fi. Without wifi, honestly the games aren't too special (I'd say the same thing for any Mario Kart though). I guess these next few months, I'm going to try to play on Wifi as much as I can before it's gone.

Offline Gizmo

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
I liked playing Mario Kart online and other things, too... Nintendo WFC, we'll miss you :( but like other people said, Nintendo can now focus more on improving the Nintendo Network system.

Offline DeadlyxImpulse

• "Jae Turns Up The Volume"
  • Yerdy!1!1
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
In honor of Nintendo Wifi Connection, we should do a community night weeks before termination for both games (well maybe just MKW). :P

Offline Luigidenne3DSGCN

• A Super Triple Deluxe Supreme Pokemon-Befriendng Mansioneer
  • "Road got 'ya down? Enter the Luge."
  • us 
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
To think, all the Pokmon games gamers have spent online for those...wow. And some stuff you earn for completing tasks online from those games...no longer be able to get 100%.
Well, it's a shame but expected that this is happening. I didn't play online all that much, maybe except Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Fortune Street. Never even went online for any of the DS games, so I guess no biggie there. Nintendo doesn't want to keep paying for servers for older games. Everyone just has to move on. It hurts, but really, we can't have all things last forever.
Better have the last three months dedicated to Nintendo DS/Wii online now, for those that use it all the time.
For a second or two based on the title, I just thought it was going to be for some sort of maintenance, but to shutting down the whole thing for good always saddens me, especially since Pokemon will be affected. :'( I never played online that much and I can't even get it to work on some of my DS games, yet now I'm super worried and down. I wish we could all have a massive effort to help complete our Pokedexes (Back and forth trading). I hope they don't close Nintendo Video here in NA too-there were some really good ones. At least I know a lot of them are available elsewhere online(I seriously need to clear my 3DS Notes).
"At last, the promise has been made..." and then some. :ssb4cloud:
:luigi: :toadette: :toad: :mario: :peach: :daisy: :rosalina: :donkeykong: :diddykong: :shyguy: :boo: :penguin: :ssb4luigi: :ssb4rosalina: :ssb4kirby: :ssb4kingdedede:  :ssb4pikachu: :ssb4jigglypuff: :ssb4toonlink: :ssb4link: :ssb4zelda: :ssb4sheik: :ssb4palutena: :ssb4villager_f: :ssb4reflet: :ssb4lucina: :ssb4kamui::ssb4mewtwo: