Author Topic: Anybody can remake the N64 Mario Party games or at least one?  (Read 7840 times)

Offline GSUser43

TL;DR--Short version below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wish if someone who is experienced in animating, modeling, programming etc. could remake the N64 MP games or at least one of them.

Recently, fans made a Resident Evil 2 remake and currently working on a Resident Evil 3 remake. Even more, a Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic remake is in the works.

If there are fans that can remake HUGE games like these, then I really wish if there are fans that can remake SMALL games like these, they were the BEST ones out of all the MP games by Hudson. And of course, better than the ND Cube crap (God! Don't even remind me about the disaster that is Island Tour, it was even more crappy than 9-10, especially because nearly the entire soundtracks are basically a copy-and-paste, YET dumbed-down version of 9).

The main reason why I want a remake is because it would feel like a new MP made by Hudson with it's new graphics, physics, music etc. knowing that the first MP was released all the way back in 1998 (Yay! My birth year!), and I have no faith in ND Cube if they made another MP after 9, IT and 10 (yes I know, they have ex-Hudson devs, but they're still just as bad as if they didn't have a single one). Heck, even Wii Party and Wii Party U feels EXACTLY like 9 and 10 but without Mario characters and a board.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Short version:

Anybody, please, PLEASE remake any of them, they are my childhood.

http://images.clipartpanda.com/begging-clipart-Begging-1.jpg
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:24:04 PM by GSUser43 »

Offline RafalRib

• The Hype God/King
  • June 2016: CRASH IS BACK!
  • pt 
Re: Anybody can remake the N64 Mario Party games or at least one?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
God! Don't even remind me about the disaster that is Island Tour, it was even more crappy than 9-10, especially because nearly the entire sound effects are basically a copy-and-paste, YET dumbed-down version of 9
Just because a game isnt like others in the series it doesnt mean its a disaster...
Take Sticker Star as an example, its not your normal Paper Mario and its still a great game :ssb4pacman:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:27:23 AM by RafalRib »

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
God! Don't even remind me about the disaster that is Island Tour, it was even more crappy than 9-10, especially because nearly the entire sound effects are basically a copy-and-paste, YET dumbed-down version of 9
Just because a game isnt like others in the series it doesnt mean its a disaster...
Take Sticker Star as an example, its not your normal Paper Mario and its still a great game
Well, I didn't play Sticker Star so I don't know if it's great or not.

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Moved to Mario Party Hacking board.

Unfortunately way easier said than done. Right now there is very little interest in custom Mario Party games and hacking and even fewer people who actual have the means to do it.

You know, instead of asking someone to do it, you should try learning to hack some of the older MP games. There is A LOT to learn and understand, but if you put your effort and time in, I'm sure you can help make the Mario Party hacking scene a reality. You're not going to create the dream game you've always wanted overnight, but you can help make something like what you want more of a possibility.

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »
I said it above that like Resident Evil 2 & 3 and Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic, a remake from scratch, not a hack, you know, like this (Metal Gear Remake):

Though I agree with you, saying is a lot easier than actually doing it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:39:32 PM by GSUser43 »

Offline SuperZambezi

• is a great
  • #1 Dry Bones fan on this forum
  • us 
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
I would think that a remake would be even harder than hacking, that's why I suggested it.

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
I would think that a remake would be even harder than hacking, that's why I suggested it.
Oh! Okay, now I understand why you moved this thread.
It still saddens me that there's no one (maybe) up for this task. I wish someone who knows about game development would read this and hear out that fans want these 3 classics to be remade.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:48:53 PM by GSUser43 »

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
I'll leave this thread with this message until someone who knows about game development replies (replies are still acceptable even after years):
Dear reader, if you know about game development (like in Unity, Unreal Engine), please hear out that MP fans want these 3 classics to be remade, or at least one of them. We (MP fans) would be very happy and thankful if any of them becomes one of the games that had "fan remakes".
Thank you.

Sincerely, dedicated MP fan.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:15:58 PM by GSUser43 »

Offline Nintega Dario

• NiiiiiiiiiiiiiinTEGA!!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
Moved to Mario Party Hacking board.

Unfortunately way easier said than done. Right now there is very little interest in custom Mario Party games and hacking and even fewer people who actual have the means to do it.

You know, instead of asking someone to do it, you should try learning to hack some of the older MP games. There is A LOT to learn and understand, but if you put your effort and time in, I'm sure you can help make the Mario Party hacking scene a reality. You're not going to create the dream game you've always wanted overnight, but you can help make something like what you want more of a possibility.

It's not as easy as it looks, Binary files are very complex and can only be opened in a Hex editor, not even I am able to do it.

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
It's not as easy as you're making it to be.

First, we don't even know how to make our own boards. And since this is probably going to be a remake that upgrades the graphics, we'd be going from a pre-rendered board to full models. Do you have any idea how hard that would be? Even Nintendo couldn't get it quite right in Mario Party 4.

Second, the minigames. Where would we even start to code a minigame like the ones in the original? And again, some minigames have pre-rendered backgrounds, making it harder. Third, models. Would we use the ones in the original games or find a newer one? Or should we have an option in settings to switch between the two?

And last but not least, the legal action that could be taken. Since we're recreating boards and stuff from actual Nintendo games, they could easily send us a C&D to shut down the entire project because we're putting copyrighted material in a (probably) freeware game. This happened to some guy that tried to make a Super Mario 64 HD remake.

There are a few Mario Party fangames out there, but they aren't as... good as the actual Mario Party games.
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline SpiderStaryu

• Peachy's got it!
  • us 
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »
Making boards? Easy. That's not the hard part. The hard part is programming everything in the game. Editing the N64 games sounds impossible, so anyone who would do it, would have to make it from scratch. Mario Party requires A LOT to program: Models, Minigames, Boards, Board mechanics, Space mecahnics, Items... It will be way too hard to do.

I mean, major kudos to anyone who seriously considers doing this, but I wouldn't personally have the experience, or time to try to make something like this. I'll stick to my Mario Party-forum game, thank you. :P

Offline Nintega Dario

• NiiiiiiiiiiiiiinTEGA!!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
Making boards? Easy. That's not the hard part. The hard part is programming everything in the game. Editing the N64 games sounds impossible, so anyone who would do it, would have to make it from scratch. Mario Party requires A LOT to program: Models, Minigames, Boards, Board mechanics, Space mecahnics, Items... It will be way too hard to do.

I mean, major kudos to anyone who seriously considers doing this, but I wouldn't personally have the experience, or time to try to make something like this. I'll stick to my Mario Party-forum game, thank you. :P

Sounds are simple to replace in N64 titles, it's called N64soundtool...

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »
It's not as easy as you're making it to be.

First, we don't even know how to make our own boards. And since this is probably going to be a remake that upgrades the graphics, we'd be going from a pre-rendered board to full models. Do you have any idea how hard that would be? Even Nintendo couldn't get it quite right in Mario Party 4.

Second, the minigames. Where would we even start to code a minigame like the ones in the original? And again, some minigames have pre-rendered backgrounds, making it harder. Third, models. Would we use the ones in the original games or find a newer one? Or should we have an option in settings to switch between the two?

And last but not least, the legal action that could be taken. Since we're recreating boards and stuff from actual Nintendo games, they could easily send us a C&D to shut down the entire project because we're putting copyrighted material in a (probably) freeware game. This happened to some guy that tried to make a Super Mario 64 HD remake.
(I've read your reply immediately after you wrote it but didn't have anything to say until now)

It would be GREAT to see Nintendo officially doing a remake, it's just unlikely for them to do so, especially since it's not one of the games that the whole fans wanted a remake for years like Final Fantasy VII. But who knows what could happen, some games had a remake and not much people asked for them like Metroid: Zero Mission. Wish Nintendo would read this and do a remake! It will please the fans and won't require Nintendo to think of new ideas for a new, high quality Mario Party game.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:50:08 AM by GSUser43 »

Offline NintendoFan

• -
  • us 
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 09:55:10 AM »
It would be GREAT to see Nintendo officially doing a remake, it's just unlikely for them to do so, especially since it's not one of the games that the whole fans wanted a remake for years like Final Fantasy VII.
The thing is, Nintendo doesn't like ideas that will please their fans

Just look at how the past few years have gone for them
Ancient trash.
Spoiler: Smash 4 license (click to show/hide)

Offline GSUser43

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
It would be GREAT to see Nintendo officially doing a remake, it's just unlikely for them to do so, especially since it's not one of the games that the whole fans wanted a remake for years like Final Fantasy VII.
The thing is, Nintendo doesn't like ideas that will please their fans

Just look at how the past few years have gone for them
Yeah, but recently Satoru Iwata died, so it will still take some time to get to know this new Nintendo president.