Rosalina's Cosmic Icecap

Rosalina's Cosmic Icecap.json

Filesize: 521.3kB  Views: (482)  Downloads (505)  
Description: "Use your Star Power to light the Observatory beacon." To guide Rosalina's lost child back to its home! This is a submission for the Custom Board Contest #3.

Fitting with the other MP1 styles, Rosalina's Cosmic Icecap has its own little situation. Still, it draws heavily from Super Mario Galaxy and even mixes a taste of classic N64-era to it - with the classic Rosalina design created by KatLime (DeviantArt).

Talking about the board's design, it's relatively simple loop design, with two branches off of a "main" path (even if it bears little resemblance to one). The farther paths provide access to Chance Spaces and Boo (although, due to overwriting DK's Jungle Adventure, every Star Space keeps turning into a Chance Space...). Lumas appear to congregate at Mushroom Spaces (Blue Lumas) and Minigame Spaces (other colours) - these are also much more common in the farther paths.

For Happening Spaces, I've gone a somewhat unique route. First of all, the Happening Spaces located near clusters of Star Bits would cause said cluster to cloud your character - a Luma would come by and offer up a number of coins for said Star Bits. I've tried to implement this by causing these to initiate Koopa Troopa events; it works okay, but I feel like the Star Bits wouldn't give out as many coins as he does.

Next, the Happening Spaces near groups of Ice Flowers cause your character to get blasted with a frost of cold air and frozen, losing a number of coins. I've cleverly hidden a Red Space under each of these Happening Spaces, emulating this event - however, in practice (under current conditions), these are simply Red Spaces.

Finally, the Happening Spaces on the ice tiles would have caused the leftmost one to break, and the rest of them to float along over - in essence, like a conveyor belt (and the spaces on these ice tiles could even change). Landing on the leftmost one would cause it to break, your character to sink into the water, and then get sucked up into the black hole below. This would clearly cause at least a loss of coins. Unfortunately, this was too hard to emulate, so the Happening Spaces are left blank (I also tried to mask Mushroom Spaces - but the Mushroom Spaces ended up on top instead).

Finally, I'd like to mention that it's unfortunate the board ending is DK's Jungle Adventure's ending. It just clashes with my board: Eternal Star's would be better, but alas, with the current limitations, it is impossible. Also, for the Splashscreen image, I ended up using the background image from Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge that was rendered in full by Rosalina-Luma (DeviantArt).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this submission and enjoy playing on this board! It was a blast to make it, and boy was it exciting to finally play on it. Oh, and considering the date of submission: Merry Christmas!
Posted by: Mario_Comix December 25, 2017, 02:13:31 AM

Rating: This download has not been rated yet.

Comments (0)

Return to Downloads